Computer Help forum

General discussion

Philips CDD4801 CD-RW problem w/WinXP

by forelornlonghorn / October 7, 2004 7:57 AM PDT

Compaq Presario 5102US,1.0ghz w/ 376mb RAM, OS=WinXP SP2. The CDD4801 CD-RW worked fine under WinME OS, but since I changed (not upgraded) to WinXP the CD-RW does not recognize CD-Rs. Master data and music CDs are Okay, as are recorded CD-RWs. In particular are photo/jpeg CD-Rs that were created with EasyCD 4.0 w/ME. The CD-Rs are good, because my laptop has not problem accessing them (it has Win2K). I'm confident the Cdd4801 is Okay, because if I take the time to go back to WinME it works and reads everything again, and I can write to it with WinXP. What the Hey, any suggestions?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Philips CDD4801 CD-RW problem w/WinXP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Philips CDD4801 CD-RW problem w/WinXP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"created with EasyCD 4.0 w/ME." <- That's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 8:27 AM PDT

XP's support of UDF is just Utterly Deniably Flighty.

Copy that data off, and create a simple CDR or erase a CDRW, record a closed session and it will work.

Light reading at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php which should contain all you need to know before you lose all your data.

ONLY closed normal sessions transport well.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by forelornlonghorn / October 7, 2004 8:50 AM PDT

Strange! The CD-RW disks were also created with EasyCD Creator 4.0; also as open sessions. Those can be accessed. It seems only the CD-Rs (open or closed) can't be read. In fact, Windows Explorer indicates the disk is full and asks if I want to prepare the CD for writing (aka format).
So you recommend that I try using the laptop, and close the CD-R sessions and see if they will transport?

Collapse -
I suggest you use what works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 9:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

If I need CDR or CDRW to move between machines I only use single closed sessions. UDF is not good for use between machines unless they have the SAME OS and UDF software.

But who tells you this?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I suggest you use what works.
by forelornlonghorn / October 7, 2004 9:08 AM PDT

BINGO! BANGO! BONGO!
SHAZZZAAAAAM! IT WORKED!
Now I have access to my 40million+ jpegs of our grandbaby. Real important stuff ya know!

THANK YOU BOB!
James

Collapse -
Re: I suggest you use what works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 7, 2004 10:37 AM PDT

Always good to read when its all sorted out.

Best of continued luck,

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?