TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Philips 50PF7220A/37 , HDTV, and Dish Network

by hoxfan1 / January 23, 2006 2:56 PM PST

I just bought the Philips 50PF7220A/37 (50" plasma HDTV-integrated flat screen) from Costco. I thought it was an incredible deal so I plunked down the cash as soon as I could. The problem is I am a total HDTV novice. I have my ps2 and dish network plugged into the tv. My wife and I both agree that the picture looks worse than it did on our 36" Sony CRT from about 5 years ago. I would've thought that out of the box with the same connections, the picture would be better so i'm obviously extremely concerned. But before I go running back and returning to Costco, I need to know from anyone who has ANY experiences like mine...is it time to panic? what can I do to fix this? is it as simple as getting the dish network HD package? and if I do...will all my channels look better or just my HD channels? I would think that my PS2 would be sharper than before but it isn't as well. I'm really confused..the wife is ready to divorce me...ANY advice..ANY advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Philips 50PF7220A/37 , HDTV, and Dish Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Philips 50PF7220A/37 , HDTV, and Dish Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your Impending Divorce
by RoadRunner6 / January 23, 2006 6:40 PM PST

Hoxfan1,

Tell your wife not to call the attorney just yet!

First of all, you bought a very good quality plasma. The last information I read was that Philips plasmas use Hitachi (formerly Fujitsu/Hitachi) glass and most of the internal components (this is very good news for you, Hitachi makes some of the best plasmas out there) and make their own bezels and speakers. Don't be alarmed by this, it is very common. For example, Toshiba plasmas are rebadged Panasonic's (the last I heard).

Secondly, read the whole owner's manual several times to make sure you understand how to hook it up properly.

I do not have either Play Station or satelite so I can't give specific advice on those. But I do know that you need to make sure you are using the best possible hook-up cable method to feed the video signal to your plasma.

Here is the breakdown in increasing order of picture quality for different types of video cables (note, this is for the video portion of the signal):

1. Plain old composite video cable (one yellow RCA cable).

2. S-Video (one cable with a round connector with 5-pins inside).

3. Component video cable (three RCA cables, usually blue, red and green.

These 3 methods are "analog" connections. #3 is definitely superior. #2 is good and #1 is dreadful.

4. HDMI or DVI (one cable that carries both the video and audio signals in digital...DVI is one cable that carries only the video signal in digital).

#4 is a "digital" connection. It should be the best picture quality if in the future you have components with an HDMI output and if your Philips has an HDMI input. DVI to HDMI cables are available.

I also have a Sony CRT (my is a 27"). I find that my TV picture is slightly better on my plasma. However, I have cable TV and also an EDTV plasma instead of an HDTV. EDTV, all things being equal, brand, etc., actually has a slightly better picture on standard definition TV than HDTV sets. This is because the "native resolution" of my set is 480p. The native resolution of your HDTV is higher at either 720p or 1080i and your Philips scaling circuitry has to "upconvert" the TV signal to match its resolution and usually loses a slight amount of clarity.

Be sure to make sure you have all the settings set correctly and see if changing the "digital noise filter" and color correction settings, etc., might help. These can have many different names from different brands.

When you do get HD TV signals you should see a superb picture on some channels (some channels compress the signals so some HD content is better than others).

To test the non TV picture quality on your set, borrow a quality brand progressive scan DVD player, or even better a HDMI up-converting DVD player. Both of these should give an excellent to super picture. Especially the up-converting DVD player which will scale the DVD picture up to the native resolution of your set. I have no idea of the video output connections on the PS2, maybe someone else here can help.

I know I'm getting long winded here but I want to try and save your marriage. Good Luck!

RR6 (Chuck)

Collapse -
Thanks!
by hoxfan1 / January 24, 2006 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: Your Impending Divorce

Thanks Chuck for opening my eyes a bit. I actually do have 2 HDMI inputs. Right now, I am just feeding a regular old "cable" into the television. It runs from the satellite box into the tv. I did watch a dvd on my PS2 and the picture was much better.

I guess that only thing I can do is call the dish network and order their HD package, I was hoping to wait on this, but I do not think the wife will allow this.

I am definitely open to any more input.

Thanks again!

hoxfan1

gooooooooooooo seahawks! Happy

Collapse -
HD BOX
by BONSPEED / January 24, 2006 1:43 AM PST

IT SOUNDS LIKE YOUR JUST WATCHING SDTV. THE PREVIOUS POST IS CORRECT. THE PHILIPS IS A GOOD BRAND. THE PROBLEM HERE SEEMS TO BE, IF YOU DIDNT HAVE HD BEFORE AND IF YOUR USING THE SAME DISH BOX THEN YOUR JUST WATCHING REGULER TV. EACH PROVIDER (CABLE, DIRECT, DISH) HAS AN ''HD VERSION'' OF THEIR SET TOP BOX. THIS HD SET TOP BOX IS CONNECT IN ONE OF TWO WAYS. YOU CAN USE EITHER COMPONENT CABLES (THREE VIDEO, TWO AUDIO) OR A SINGLE DIGITAL CABLE (HDMI). ALONG WITH AN HD PACKAGE WITH YOUR PROVIDER, THEN YOU GET TO WATCH HD PROGRAMMING. BEAR IN MIND, STANDARD PROGRAMMING (SOME BETTER THEN OTHERS) WILL PROBABLY NOT IMPROVE MUCH. LOW QUALITY IN EQUALS LOW QUALITY OUT.

Collapse -
More information on the dish hi-def receiver
by stewart norrie / January 24, 2006 1:56 AM PST

Your going to love your dish set up and hear is the scoop. Dish has a new unit model 211 You may have to wait awhile because its just coming out this set has h.d.m.i. outpit which will give your new t.v. the most beautiful picture you have ever seen. Also this ubit will recieve all your network stations in h-def (FREE) then order basic, hi-def package+voom in closing I have had dish for 2 years and its great. in closing my old dish boc only has d.v.i. output and the pros say that using h.d.m.i gives you the ultimate picture now dont forget to spend your life savings on your new 5.1. sound system and dont forget the snack bay good luck to you

Collapse -
Any Advice for DirecTV HD Boxes?
by ctbrett / January 28, 2006 6:00 AM PST

Hi,

This message string has been very helpful. Thanks.

Any suggestions for a DirecTV customer?

Thanks,
Cameron

Collapse -
DISH NETWORK HI-DEF SYSTEM IS A MUST
by stewart norrie / January 28, 2006 6:13 AM PST

and make sure you order there new 211 system which has h.d.m.i. outputand with this system you must order there hi-def package and I would advise VOOM for five bucks a month extra also with the 211 you will get all your hi-def network stations free, I find the hi-def package wounderful the programming of discovery , h.d. net. h.d. net movies e.s.p.n is outstanding and VOOM has a lot of great stuff now dont forget the snack bar stewart

Collapse -
Videogame Appearances on HDTV
by abduljabbarpm / August 14, 2006 8:25 AM PDT

When a videogame system is played on a Standard Definition TV, it looks much different than on a High Definition TV. The primary reason for this is because of the resolution; however, there are other factors that need to be considered. I will try to point out a few of the things you need to be aware of when playing videogames on High Definition TVs.

1. When you are playing a videogame system like the Playstation or Playstation 2 on a HDTV, you need to realize that the maximum resolution of either system is 480p lines of resolution, whereas the HDTV you currently own can display up to 720p lines of resolution.

2. The Playstation game systems do not support a feature called, "Anti-Aliasing," which is a graphic technique that eliminates jagged lines that are visible in the games. For example, a game that was rated very poorly because of this was called Tekken: Tag Tournament; it received the nickname of Tekken: Jag Tournament, because it had so many jagged lines. When you look at a Playstation 2 game on an HDTV, it literally looks worse on the HDTV than the SDTV, simply because the HDTV causes the jagges lines to be even more visible. This is not something that you need to worry about; it is like this when any PS2 is played on any HDTV.

2. The Microsoft Xbox 360 uses Anti-Aliasing not only on Xbox 360 games, but also the original Xbox games that can be played on it. At this point in time, over 275 of the best-selling original Xbox games are compatable with the Xbox 360, and more are being added to the list each month. Not only that, but the Xbox 360 raises the resolution of original Xbox games from 480p to 720p. This means you will see original Xbox games like Halo in true High-Definition.

3. The Playstation 2 is not capable of outputting a 720p signal like that; it only outputs either a 480i or 480p signal.

4. The difference between 480i SDTV (which means Standard Definition TV) and 480p EDTV (which means Enhanced Definition TV) is very noticeable; you will see a noticeable difference if the source allows it. For example, if you have a progressive scan DVD player, you will notice a nice difference between 480i and 480p. However, the biggest difference in quality is when you see how much better 720p or 1080i looks when compared to 480p. 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are all referred to as HDTV (High Definition), because there is very little noticeable difference between them. Once the resolution of 1280x720 is achieved, the human eye can only tell differences when two things are side-by-side next to each other.

5. One of the reason why people like the new 1080P HDTV's is because it upconverts lower resoltion to higher resolution. This can be considered a nice thing when you have a digital High Definition source like the Xbox 360 being upconverted to 1080p. However, if you are watching a lot of older TV shows or home movies that were originally recorded in 480i, then the resolution upconversion to 1080p can be considered a bad thing. The reason for this is because it makes things in the foreground look nicer, but static (usually found in the color black) also sees its resolution increased, which causes a type of "worse" look to occur in many of the older TV shows like Knight Rider or Miami Vice. This is actually one advantage of a plasma TV with a Native Resolution of 720p rather than 1080p.

6. If the Playstation 2 is your only complaint about videogames, now you know why it looks worse on the HDTV. This is completely normal, and my friends and I also experience this. Sony's engineers made a lot of mistakes when designing the Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 hardware. The Xbox and Xbox 360 use Anti-Aliasing to eliminate those major jagged edges in videogames. The Xbox 360 games look FAR better on an HDTV, because that is actually where the Xbox 360 was designed to look best.

7. I hope all this information helped you out. Take care. I think you have a nice tv. If you get a High Definition receiver, just remember that not all of the channels are broadcast in HDTV at this point in time. In fact, the majority of them are not. I COULDN'T BELEIVE IT when I learned that the Sci-Fi channel and USA and TBS and other channels like that are NOT broadcast in HDTV...even if I have an HDTV receiver from DirecTV!!! I wasn't too happy about that...but there is nothing you can do at this point in time. For now, just enjoy TNT, your local channels, and some of the HBO and Showtime channels that are broadcast in HDTV.

8. I also highly recommend purchasing a HD-DVD player. I recommend staying away from the "Blu-ray" technology; it is not a part of the DVD-forum that unanimously voted for HD-DVD as the successor to the DVD format. Even Sony has said that the Blu-ray will not be around in six years. There are far more HD-DVD movies available right now, and they look much better an and HDTV than Blu-ray discs. HD-DVD technology uses the new VC-1 compression technology that Microsoft and Intel invented, and all HD-DVD movies released so far use it. Although Blu-ray could "potentially" use VC-1 technology, the makers of Blu-ray discs do not want to pay the higher licensing and royalty fees to Microsoft and Intel, which is why they have chosen not to use VC-1 as their compression technology. Blu-ray uses the same ten-year old compression technology that standard DVD discs use; it is called MPEG-2. This is the reason why there was a need to increase the size of a Blu-ray layer of information from 15GB to 25GB. HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs hold two-hours of information on each layer. HD-DVD uses the much newer VC-1 compression technology, so it only needs 15GB of data to store two hours of high-definition content on one layer. Blu-ray discs use the outdated MPEG-2 compression technology that standard DVDs use, which means it requires 25GB of data to store two hours of high-definition content. All Blu-ray discs released so far use MPEG-2, and there are no plans to use anything else anytime soon, especially since the multi-layer Blu-ray discs that were originally planned are much more difficult to develop than originall planned; they have a very high defect ratio. All HD-DVD dics released so far use VC-1 compression technology, and this will remain the standard. Bottom line: Get an HD-DVD player rather than a Blu-ray player, because it is just like VHS VCR vs Betamax VCR: Blu-ray is Betamax, and HD-DVD is VHS. In other words, HD-DVD is the best.

Collapse -
Philips 50PF7220A/37 Plasma 50" tv Dead Died Fix
by dfmiller1101 / December 23, 2008 7:20 AM PST

Watching TV over thanksgiving and the Plasma TV just died. Built 12/05, purchased 06/06, died 11/08. I opened up the back of the TV and found that IT HAS A FUSE!!! I pulled out the fuse, shoved some metal washers in the fuse slot, plugged it back in and the TV came back to life! Ran to the store and found some idential 8amp 250V fuses (5 for $4). TV runs great now...totally happy. If your TV dead is, check for fuse. Fuse looks like this http://www.allelectronics.com/mas_assets/image_cache/image_product.height.500;width.500;modified.1207856593.LPFS-6.jpg

Collapse -
Plasma TV
by hemi354 / April 2, 2009 3:49 AM PDT

I bought mine at costco to.I have had it for two and half years.I had green screens sveral times and know the tv quit all together.No power to the tv.Took back off and found the main fuse blew.Went got two new ones both blew.Don't have the money to repair no work for year.Take it back and get a vizio or a samsung.The board is a samsung go figure.I hope you find a reliable one that will last aleast 15 years.Philips has alot of bad issues.Type go to problems with the plama tv philips and read reviews.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?