Question

Phantom texts when copy-pasting

OK, sometimes I'll be typing a lengthy response for a given discussion thread and I will have my browser fail on me for some reason or another. Usually this prompts the loss of my whole text, it's happened to the best of us...

Anyway, my solution is usually to type up important long-winded texts outside of my browser, and then copy-pasting it in. That way I'll have a fundamental back-up until I'm sure the info has been posted.

When I do this on CNET forums... something weird happens. For example, I was looking up an AMD Athlon X2 processor for another thread. I had it's long detailed name listed in google's search bar, so I just copy pasted it into this tab, and this is what happens.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Phantom texts when copy-pasting
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Phantom texts when copy-pasting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Part 2

In the "Message Body" I don't see that "<span id=INSERTION_MARKER>"

In fact all I see is a blank, and then I'm unable to type more. The pasted text is wrong, but it's also invisible. So I can't erase it. This compounds the problem because I don't just loose my long text, it vanishes, and then I can't untangle the indivisible text from what I had already typed in manually.

- Collapse -
Oh I realize I marked this as a question thread

I guess my official question is: Why the hell is the forum doing that (described above), and how can I make it stop?

- Collapse -
Answer
I think I found an answer...

It's weird. When I click "Toggle View" in that little control bar above the Message Body, things go back to normal. I can copy paste and see the invisible text that has been pasted.

- Collapse -
It toggles the Text Editor

I also Preview all of my posts before submitting. That helps usually.

There's a current discussion about this in the top Sticky post in this forum. The forum techs are trying to get a handle on this and understand why it is happening.

You're not alone! Happy

Mark

CNET Forums