Speakeasy forum

General discussion

PETA's Dirty Secret

PETA kills animals. By the thousands.

From July 1998 through the end of 2003, PETA killed over 10,000 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals" -- at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. That's more than five defenseless animals every day. Not counting the dogs and cats PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 85 percent of the animals it took in during 2003 alone. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing.

As the article points out, PETA kills the animals because they have other priorities for the monies donated by people who think their donations are being used to help animals.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PETA's Dirty Secret
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PETA's Dirty Secret
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I thought their dirty secret was

In reply to: PETA's Dirty Secret

the annual BBQ that they have

Collapse -
I thought their dirty secret was

In reply to: I thought their dirty secret was

they like to dress like a ****. Oh, wait a minute, that Victoria's secret. Happy My Bad.

Collapse -
and they advocate death for millions more...

If people actually stopped eating dairy products, what would happen to dairy animals? Maybe the farmers would give them to Peta?

The extinction of bulls and cows is Peta's logical conclusion.

Collapse -
I suggest .....

.... checking out your local animal shelter and see how many dogs were euthanized last week. At mine, there were 70, which is about average, That does not include the cats. That is just at the county shelter, and does not include the Humane Shelter.

Thousands are killed in my county every year. Just because people don't care enough to have their pets spayed or neutered. Too many people consider their pets as replaceable as a light bulb.

Just where and how do you think all of the unwanted pets should be housed, fed, etc.? Who is going to pay for it?

I agree that PETA has been radical. But I agreed with their work to stop the animal testing of cosmetics. Also the clubbing of baby seals for m'lady's coat. I consider neither of these as "ethical" treatment of animals.

So, shoot me. From what I read in this forum, there is a feeling that folks like me are nuts, and the country would be better off without us.

Angeline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
I haven't gotten that feeling here

In reply to: I suggest .....

Angeline. Neither that you are nuts nor should folks who feel as you do be "shot" Wink

In fact, I see your line of thinking as more "middle-of-the-road" - same as myself, and I think many others. There are extremists on both ends, as always. They are the ones that seem to cause the most problems.

PETA's basic goal of "ethical treatment of animals" is a noble and good one. It is the extremists of their group that has given them a bad name and made their good works be swept under the carpet, so to speak.

The animal shelters cannot help but euthanize many of these poor unwanted creatures. There are not enough homes for them to go to. I would like to see PETA put some of their money toward better education of spaying and neutering, and assistance for catching and prosecuting those who actually abuse their animals.

So ......... I don't wish to shoot you or anyone who thinks as you do. I am on your side, for what that's worth. I really don't think we have as many radicals in here as some of the "discussions" may make it appear (on most topics) - there are just many who find this a great place to cuss and discuss to their hearts content, regardless of how extreme it may make them seem. Bet many of the members here are much more "middle-of-the-road" in real life than they would like to let on Grin LOL

Collapse -
Good to hear! :-)

In reply to: I haven't gotten that feeling here

Collapse -
I kind of think

In reply to: Good to hear! :-)

as a society we treat our animals the way we treat our people:( I just find it strange that we scream about putting pets down, but accept it as humane to do the same to people:( I believe that all of Gods' creatures should be treated with respect and love.

Collapse -
From my vantage point, it looks like we treat animals better

In reply to: I kind of think

people most of the time. I have difficulty understanding the large sums some people spend of medical treatment for their animals while children lacvk such things.

People, as God's image bearers, should be treated far better than animals.

Collapse -
The issue is not euthanizing. Everyone knows that is

necessary. The issue is the hypocracy of Peta doing it. If they're consistent, they would find a way. I think there are no kill facilities although I don't have a clue how they manage it. Quota system?

Collapse -
I don't think....

In reply to: The issue is not euthanizing. Everyone knows that is

..... that PETA would get enough monetary donations to build enough kennel space, buy enough food, etc. for a million animals.

People in my area have a conniption fit when asked to pay more taxes to house more unwanted animals.

There are several ''no-kill'' places here. They depend on their adoption fees, and on private donations. And when they are full, they turn others away. They have to in order to survive.

Nobody has the guts to require that dogs and cats are spayed/neutered before they are licensed. (Yes- we have free spay-neuter clinics, including one on wheels.) If people would just do that, we wouldn't need large pounds/shelters.

My household has 3 rescued dogs, 1 cat. There are no pure-bred dogs in my neighborhood. We get a lot of the sorts of people who drive here to dump off their pets. Everybody has taken in all of them they can.

Vet care, flea/tick/heartworm preventive meds add up the cost.

I don't agree that PETA euthanizing pets is hypocritical. It is certainly more merciful, and ethical, than leaving them to roam the streets.

Angeline

Collapse -
At the Humane Society here

In reply to: I don't think....

you have to bring the animal back in for spaying neutering if you get a young animal. If they are already adults, they are spayed neutered before they leave.

Collapse -
Similar to when we got our ''pound puppy''

In reply to: At the Humane Society here

9 years ago at the Humane Society Animal Shelter. We adopted her through the SPARK Program (can't remember now what that stood for, but we named Sparky after it :)) We paid $60 for her (she was appx. 8 weeks old, they figured), and that took care of having her spayed, wormed, etc. from a local vet that is part of the program.

Sparky is truly a Heinz 57, and she's the best dog I have ever had. Loving, fun and smart as a whip (she and Orion won Grand Prize in obedience at the County Fair as part of the Dog Project. I'm sure we could make a joke here about which of the two was most well-trained! LOL)

Most animal shelter places have a good incentive program for spaying/neutering and other health matters if you wish to get an animal from them.

Collapse -
Here's my puppy Auggie

In reply to: Similar to when we got our ''pound puppy''

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) What a little cutie:))

In reply to: Here's my puppy Auggie

Collapse -
Auggie...

Collapse -
What kind of dog is he? eom

eom

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) He's a Papillon. About a foot tall, about 7.5 lbs full

In reply to: What kind of dog is he? eom

Collapse -
Heinz 57

So is my Buddy (who really and truly followed me home).

But I tell people he is a "Bestuval" - the best of all breeds. Happy

He adjusted very well to my routine, and did well in training. Except he still comes when he is ready if there is something around in which he is interested.

And he becomes a whirling dervish when motorcycles, certain trucks, certain pick-up tricks, and, of course UPS and FedEx go by. Nothing I have done to break him has worked. His vet said nothing ever would- that something happened to him before he came to me, or heinterprets certain motor sounds as threatening growls.

Once his leash came loose from his collar during one of his performances. But I found a great new leather leash with an "alligator" clip that locks on line.

Angeline

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Bestuval -- I like that!

In reply to: Heinz 57

Collapse -
When I was in grad school ...

... about a year into giving up my full time job, already with the two indoor cats of my own, two strays showed up at my door. I was feeding them outside. One of the kitties -- as teensie as she was -- had obviously recently given birth (never found the litter). I took her to the vet because she had conjunctivitis or something like that. It turned out her jaw was wired -- the vet said likely something resulting from being hit by a car or something like that. The vet put the word out to all the other vets in the area in hopes we could find the owner. I put flyers all over the neighborhood and even an ad in the paper. Nothing Sad We don't have a no-kill shelter here (or didn't at the time) and I couldn't bear the thought of them getting put down (which was practically guaranteed by the local shelter when I called to inquire). I called several supposed charities dealing with sterilization and couldn't find even a significant discount. The odd thing is had someone else brought them to the Humane Society and I showed up to adopt them a day later, I would have gotten discounted services. Yet I couldn't bring two strays in myself Sad In retrospect I probably should have pulled that stunt with the help of a friend!

I tried to appeal to my vet since she knew I had two cats of my own and wasn't just trying to get a freebie. But neither she nor any other vet I called would do the surgery at a discount either. I didn't even really have the spare cash for the efforts I undertook, and even had finances not been an issue, I already had two indoor kitties. My intention was primarily to make it easier to get them adopted, but at the very least make sure that if they could survive in the neighborhood they wouldn't be adding to the animal population problem. It was a bit discouraging to learn how little assistance there really is out there for folks that try to get these animals off the street.

When we rescued our current kitties from the wild, one had a cut across his tummy. I wanted to make sure we weren't taking in sickly animals as our other cat was nearing the end of his life and having enough difficulties as it was. Again vets and shelters were unhelpful. If Pupitz' injury was very bad, I wanted him to just get put down humanely -- something that the shelter would no doubt have done for free (but without doing a check up to assess his condition) but a vet wanted to charge us $80 for the cremation for. *Sigh* At least our vet was understanding for the first several months when these kitties were afraid of us -- not sure how many times we had to call to cancel appointments because we couldn't catch the cat to get him in the carrier! ''Try putting the carrier vertical and putting the cat in feet first'' the assistant would say on the phone ... ''You don't understand'', I would reply, ''I can't catch my cat!''

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Same here.

In reply to: At the Humane Society here

I haven't heard any reports on whether or not any who adopt them don't honor that contract to spay/neuter, so the icidence must be very low, if at all.

Angeline

Collapse -
I think if you don't get them done

In reply to: Same here.

There is a hefty fine and they do have your address!

Collapse -
Spending priorities Angeline, spending priorities...

From the article - PETA president Ingrid Newkirk complained that actually taking care of animals costs more than killing them. "We could become a no-kill shelter immediately," she admitted.

Could but won't because of other spending "priorities" for the monies donated to save animals.

The word HYPOCRACY is key here Angeline. What is "ethical" about euthanizing animals when the PRESIDENT of PETA admits they could become a no kill shelter?

Collapse -
Ed....

In reply to: Spending priorities Angeline, spending priorities...

This is the third time over the last few days this story has been posted. When I went to the website for the first one, another link on it led to a page also lambasted the Humane Society. Thus my assumption is that the interest lie in more than pointing out the failings of PETA, but also the Humane Society. I did not follow the other links on the page, so don't know if other groups were called into question.

Angeline

Collapse -
Hypocrisy only becomes truly applical IF

In reply to: Spending priorities Angeline, spending priorities...

Money taken in a drive or donates specifically for the shelter is applied elsewhere.

I'll grant you can make an argument that even if they use that money for the shelter then move other funds to other things, one example being lobbying, there is a grey area.

Some of PETA's goals are fine, it's just their extreme methods, even criminal ones, that makes me regard them overall as more trouble than worth. Their radical element, even if small, is vocally supported by the organization, not condemned and ostracized.

JMO

Roger

Collapse -
For your info.

Its against the law to kill baby seal so they are not killed as no sale for the fur.You beleive the crap put out by peta and that crowd of cons that get rich by fools donations.

Collapse -
Yes it seems the tales of seal clubbing were

In reply to: For your info.

just another internet rumor blown all out of proportion. It was something which was true a century ago but is no longer practiced.
In my area we have several "no kill" shelters. One very large one is the "North Shore Animal Shelter" and another "The Little Shelter". Both facilities are on the net and have pictures of the adoptable animals posted.A google search reveals there are literally dozens of facilities like this throughout the US...They are usually funded via private contributions and charge nominal fees for adopting an animal. The two I mentioned actually do a background check on you before they release an animal to your care.

Collapse -
It's too bad PETA ...

... couldn't limit themselves to rational advocacy rather than the irrational (like renaming towns like Fishkill!) and vegetarian hyperadvocacy (exploiting Guiliani's prostate cancer to go after milk for example).

I agree on the use of animals in UNNECESSARY animal testing. Unfortunately the efforts of PETA (and more radical offshoots) have gone far astray in terms of objecting to animal experimentation in its entirety.

Their "focus" is lacking, thus leading too much hypocrisy Sad

In terms of stray/ferral animal populations, one's advocacy and charity dollars are better spent for local animal population control efforts that stress responsible pet ownership and offer discounted/free spay/neutering.

Evie Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!