Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pet Peeve: Region 1 only DVD players.

by Ziks511 / March 25, 2009 5:34 AM PDT

In Britain before we left in 2001, they had introduced *as standard* players that played Region 2 (Europe excluding France) and Region 1, because the manufacturers recognized that people were visiting the US and bringing home DVDs from there because they were cheaper in the US.

Naturally, since we lived there, I have a pretty substantial collection of Region 2 DVDs. I have a 8 year old Malata multi format DVD player, and I have no complaints, but it is getting rather long in the tooth, and I'm looking to upgrade to a Blu-Ray player with at least 2 format playback. So far, no luck, at least in the Big Box Stores.

It is conceivable that this is a Canadian problem, because we are such a small market relatively.

Rob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pet Peeve: Region 1 only DVD players.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pet Peeve: Region 1 only DVD players.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Thanks Jonah, I've done the search. But I'm really looking
by Ziks511 / March 25, 2009 7:07 AM PDT
In reply to: try google

for a domestic outlet. I will say I saw some very tasty Sony and other equipment at around $625, which is still a bit steep for me at the moment. Maybe in a few months.

There is an outlet that I've used before over in Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi town called the House of 220. You can't shop on line for anything but transformers but they have everything. I also have the guy who sold me the Malata 8 years ago. Anyway I'll compose myself in patience.

Rob

Collapse -
PC
by James Denison / March 25, 2009 5:53 AM PDT

With a DVD drive and a TV capture card. Load the right software and off to the movies.

Collapse -
Thanks James. I am hoping for a new computer with
by Ziks511 / March 25, 2009 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: PC

nice little 22 inch wide screen monitor.

Rob

Collapse -
Is this for a PC or home theater set up?
by Steven Haninger / March 25, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

I don't know about the HT type but the PC type allow you to select region preference and change it about 4 times before no more changes are allowed. Blu-Ray prices are still heading south. I'd think that, unless you are anxious to start collecting these disks, a less expensive DVD player would keep you afloat for a while.

Collapse -
Thanks Steve. I like a large image and clarity of Blu-Ray
by Ziks511 / March 25, 2009 7:15 AM PDT

and I've got a very nice Sony Bravia 32 inch TV, although when I took my friend out to get his TV, he bought a 42, and I now wish I had. But I will do fine with what I have.

Recognizing noise issues for neighbours I don't invest in Home Theatre, nice though the thought is.

Rob

Collapse -
By home theater, I didn't mean
by Steven Haninger / March 25, 2009 10:05 AM PDT

those wall-to-wall monstrosities. It seems to be the new term for the collected components that provide home entertainment in a variety of formats. It could be as simple as an old Sharp TV with a VCR or something with hundreds of watts of programmable sound and a screen big enough for a Bill Gates software presentation. So, when asking the question, I meant was it a full sized model you'd hook to a TV, or one you'd use with your PC. I've never seen a Blu-Ray image. I'll have to visit a Best Buy one of these days to see what's so special. Unfortunately my eyes and ears aren't what they were. I miss that a lot so live with bare essentials these days.

Collapse -
Very sorry to hear that Steve. I too am having eye issues
by Ziks511 / March 25, 2009 10:43 AM PDT

but at least my cataracts are slow growing and I'm a fair distance from surgery, but I notice the difference. It's bad enough to be functioning with only one eye that I can read through (I had amblyopia as a kid which was not treated right).

Best wishes, and hope something happens on the road to Damascus.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?