Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

PestPatrol Questionable Results

by jackfrost64 / November 27, 2004 9:47 AM PST

Ran a PestPatrol scan after dowing a clean install of XP PRO on my 1.6 AMD Athlon XP + 1900 and got the following 1) Keylogger in hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\internet explorer|main.

I can not find this in the registry and have also run Ad-aware,spybot,SpySubtract,CwShreddder, Trend online,Stinger,have spyware Blaster install and none of this other products picked this up.

Now is this a figment of Pest Patrol's imagination or is this real and I can't find.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Richard

Posted by: jackfrost64 Posted on: 11/27/2004 4:36 PM

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PestPatrol Questionable Results
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PestPatrol Questionable Results
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: PestPatrol Questionable Results
by Brent Welch / November 27, 2004 10:04 AM PST

PestPatrol scan is know to give several false alarms. There are a few prevoius threads here about that.

If memory serves, this particular entry has to do with an ActiveX capability.... in fact, the one that makes it possible for PestPatrol online scan to work.

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 27, 2004 11:47 AM PST

Richard,

seems to be a FALSE POSITIVE - have a look

click here

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / November 28, 2004 5:09 AM PST

I have had similar results with PP. Ran their scan and was told that I had: SystemSpy-Key Logger, SystemSoap Pro-Toolbar, Fake CD .99-Cracker tool (maybe, lol), Ezula TopText-Adware, Ezula-Adware and BonziBuddy-Spyware.

Now considering that I run 8-10 different malware apps that always come up clean ... I had my doubts. I tried the manual clean-up recommended by PP ... but found that the processes they said to shut down, were not in existence, the registry entries didn't exist, etc, etc.

I followed the suggested "searches" they recommended - came across another major security forum where a poster had reported a similar scan and EXACTLY the same results. This poster posted HijackThis logs - and the people who reviewed them concluded that none of the malware was present.

Which leads me to the conclusion that PP uses these "false positives" as a sales ploy - I'm reasonably savvy when it comes to security and security apps - and when I find one of these free scans throwing out false results to "encourge" a sale, I get angry.

I won't go into all the steps I took to be sure: Turning off system restore in XP, checking/deleting quarantine files in security apps, etc etc. - but I spent better part of a day checking this install. Ran reg cleaning apps - burned back-up copies of registries to disk to avoid having them get "picked up", safe mode scans ... Finally I re-ran the PP scan ... and got exactly the same results.

I've decided that this tactic of free scan - false positives is deceptive and totally unethical ... I since have found others who have had exactly the same issues I've experienced.

This is my official PP rant ...

Collapse -
by dlhan / November 28, 2004 9:20 AM PST

Add me to list of "Suspect Pest Patrol results.

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / November 29, 2004 10:31 AM PST

I've since found others on other security forums with similar stories - seems CA is using some "interesting" sales techniques here ... but just a hunch ...

Collapse -
by Jake Barnes / November 30, 2004 1:52 PM PST

then bump this - for the sake of others ...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?