Laptops forum

General discussion

Personal Lenovo Outlet Experience

by RiccaDawn / June 23, 2010 3:19 AM PDT

I have been considering buying a refurb laptop from the Lenovo Outlet website. I did all my homework first and searched the 'net for reviews of the cheapy Lenovo G450 I was planning on buying as well as reviews of the Lenovo Outlet itself. Reviews of the outlet were not so good. I've read about shipping dates getting pushed back and back and back as well as people's credit cards getting charged twice, etc. However, none of the reviews I could find were very recent. The most common complaint I found seemed to be that shipping dates kept getting pushed back and that it could take weeks to get your computer. I'm in no hurry to get my machine, so I decided it was worth the risk. I also read of people getting a machine that was quite different from the one advertised on the site, so I took screen shots of the specs on the one I bought "just in case" to protect myself if necessary. I just want to document my experience here so that there's a more recent Outlet review online for others to read.

-I placed my order around noon on Mon, June 21st.

-As of yet, I still have not received a confirmation e-mail. Apparently this is very common, given the reviews I read before buying.

-My ship date shows as Fri, June 25th, and so far has remained unchanged.

-When I try to check the status of my order, it just says "In Process" and no other information is given.

-My online bank statement is showing that the charge from Lenovo is set to go through on Thursday, June 24th.

...will update this as new things happen, but in the meantime, has anyone else dealt with the Lenovo Outlet recently? Also, anyone have any comments on the G450? I've never owned a laptop before so I'm a little excited and not sure what to expect...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Personal Lenovo Outlet Experience
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Personal Lenovo Outlet Experience
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm Shipped!
by RiccaDawn / June 24, 2010 1:10 AM PDT

Checked back with the Lenovo website this morning to find that my order status has been changed to Shipped on 06/23/2010. I was able to click into the ups tracking page to find that my computer was in Greensboro, NC at 1am this morning. It's marked as in transit and on time, so hopefully it will get here tomorrow as scheduled.

By the way, I still have NOT received a confirmation e-mail of my order from Lenovo. The only way I'm able to view the status of my order is because I printed the order page when I placed it (per internet advice). Sounds like that was still good advice, otherwise I'd still be sitting here wondering if my order even went through or not.

Can't say for sure if this has been a good experience until I actually get the computer, but so far it's looking to be way less of a train wreck than the experiences others have reported a year or so ago from the outlet.

Collapse -
Lenovo quality
by bmunsz / June 28, 2010 3:39 PM PDT
In reply to: I'm Shipped!

I just have to say, I purchased a lenovo y530 2 years ago, and it has broken 3 times, however there customer service was very good. I had no problem sending off and getting my laptop repaired and returned in about a week everytime. With all that said make sure you upgrade your warranty because the lenovo one year standard isnt the greatest.

Collapse -
What broke?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2010 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: Lenovo quality

The office picked up three y530s and not one problem. I didn't like the little rubber bumper to the right of the touch pad and trimmed that off but all in all three solid machines.

Collapse -
by bmunsz / June 29, 2010 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: What broke?

It could be possible that i just got a bad apple, but ill explain some of what went wrong.

Well, when i first received the Y530 the keyboard nor the touchpad worked of course this was easily fixed with a few driver downloads. The second time the backlight to the monitor went out and this was just about 5 months after purchase, and the third time i had a complete hard drive crash which i fixed myself by buying and installing a SSD which i higly recommend.

Collapse -
by RiccaDawn / June 29, 2010 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm Shipped!

So I received the computer on the scheduled day, 4 days after I had ordered it. I was only charged once, the laptop was in perfect condition, obviously never opened or used, and I got an amazing deal on it. So - happy ending for me Happy

Collapse -
Parting tips.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2010 4:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Received

ALWAYS make those restore DVDs. I know many don't and let me share a secret.

Most systems only allow you to make ONE SET. No problem. Use your favorite CD/DVD recording software and duplicate that set.

Have fun,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?