Computer Help forum

General discussion

Personal Firewall Choices - HELP!!

by 5dukesnnc / August 23, 2004 9:24 AM PDT

I know it isn't practice of CNet to "suggest" products, etc. but I'm doing my best to protect my son's computer while I'm using it on a LAN connection.

His operating system is Windows XP and I just installed Norton Personal Firewall 2004. As long as it is enabled, I cannot view any websites (this did not happen on Windows 98, my computer). I have to disable and then refresh for it to open the web page.

I've seen information about Windows XP Service Pack 2 but for now, I'm just afraid to install anything else and make it worse.

Could someone provide the forum address for Symantec customers. I have looked everywhere on the site and keep batting a big ZERO!! In a previous post, I was advised to check that forum for questions regarding Norton PF and Windows XP but I just have had no success at finding the forum. The suggestion was that I would most likely find other users that have experienced the same problem and hopefully a simple and easy fix!

I'm really afraid I'll make matters worse and I'm just trying to keep it as simple as possible until my new computer arrives but my son does plan to take his back to college with him, which he will have a LAN connection there too so I really must get this resolved.

Thanks in advance for your help!! This is the easiest forum I've found and the most helpful. That's why my computer illiteracy keeps me shwoing every time I post a question! :o)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Personal Firewall Choices - HELP!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Personal Firewall Choices - HELP!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've never used a firewall but I believe
by Ray Harinec / August 23, 2004 10:06 AM PDT

that you simply have all of your ports closed. Read the instructions and then you will have to enable the ports for the sites that you want to go to.

Here's a link to port info.

http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/~rakerman/port-table.html

Collapse -
Re: Personal Firewall Choices - HELP!!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 24, 2004 12:56 AM PDT

5dukes,

Sorry, but I don't believe that Symantec has a forum for it's products.

Are you aware that Windows XP has a firewall already installed? (Both SP1 and SP2 have this option.) Although Windows XP's firewall isn't as handy at monitoring "outgoing" attempts, it does a fair job at stopping "incoming" attempts to your computer. If you aren't able to get Norton's firewall functioning correctly, disable it, then try the XP Internet Connection Firewall like this:

Click on Start-Control Panel, then double click on the "Network Connections" icon. Find the connection icon that you used for the internet (either a dial-up of LAN icon), RIGHT click on the icon, choose "Properties". When that loads, click on the "Advanced" tab and enable the firewall from there. Although not a perfect solution, it might work for you.

In addition, if you're thinking about installing firewall's, there is a long discussion going on about it in the Windows XP forum. Here is a link to that discussion:

XP SP2 Firewall or Zonealarm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by Testy / August 24, 2004 9:33 AM PDT

ZoneAlarm is free and very easy to use.

Collapse -
Echo, with an extra. . .
by Coryphaeus / August 25, 2004 10:32 PM PDT

Uninstall the Norton Personal Firewall, keep the AV. NPF is really a pain in the ***. ZoneAlarm, get the free version. It will block most intruders and alert (pop-up) when any program tries to access the net, you can allow or deny.

The built in firewall in most routers finishes the protection.

My four PC home network has never been hit.

Collapse -
by Willy / August 26, 2004 12:45 AM PDT

Goto google and type keywords: SP2 woes and read what some have said and encountered. If I remember right NPF isn't to be effectdd by SP2 but I did have an incidance where it didn't work after the patch. but I've haven't done too many so far. Yeah, Symantec hasn't answered back. The forums are offered under the support side, link to support and check the added options. BTW, NPF is a real PITA, but once you configure it beware of pop-up of notications, unless you turn that off as well. SP2 will turn-ON XP own firewall, so disable in order to use any other firewall w/o conflict.

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by Kees Bakker / August 26, 2004 6:37 PM PDT

Assuming you don't yet have Win XP SP2, uninstall NPF (hope the uninstall is complete) and trust on the build-in Win XP Firewall to intercept incoming traffic. Combined with 'normal' levels of antivirus, spyware checks and caution in opening suspected emails and browsing to suspected web-pages.
Be sure to understand the configuration of the XP product. I don't think it's difficult.

Wait for SP2 for tracking outgoing traffic. As far as I read, there's no use anymore for another firewall for normal home users.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.