Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

persistent pop-ups - really could use help

by sparhawk45 / January 5, 2005 5:23 AM PST

My son uses his computer for school on which we have a persistent pop-up problem, and it seems to slow it down too. The most annoying part of these pop-ups are that some of them are leading you to sites such as"Nixad.com", "nomore-ads.net", "win-fix.com, etc. We have used and/or tried AdAware, Spybot S&D, & McAfee Virus. After reading some posts added "Shoot the Messenger" to no avail. Also recently we had to do a "full" install of XP to eliminate some old partitions and its still there. (P-II 350mhz, 850mb h/d, 128ram,cd-rom, XP -Prof, AOL). Help is greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: persistent pop-ups - really could use help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: persistent pop-ups - really could use help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try downloading, installing and updating
by Marianna Schmudlach / January 5, 2005 5:31 AM PST
Collapse -
I tried these ideas and still they are there???
by sparhawk45 / January 8, 2005 4:12 AM PST

I downloaded Spywareblaster & Shoot the messenger ( that was done prior to this posting) and still this same series of pop ups comes back. It really ticked me off when I was downloading Spywareblaster one popped up. Just to annoy me and say - can't get rid of me...haha. Any other suggestions. This thing seems to be buried deep. Would a re-format do it? Last resort of course but I have to stop them.

Collapse -
In addition to Marianna's
by roddy32 / January 5, 2005 5:58 AM PST

advice, I am pretty sure that those particular ones can also be caused by Microsoft's Window's Messenger service which has also been exploited by spammers so I would download both that Marianna suggested and also ShootTheMessenger which will disable Windows Messenger.

Collapse -
Could be waaay off base but........AOL...
by tobeach / January 6, 2005 2:15 PM PST

is pushing its' own AOL Messenger service (& pop-up blocker). Is it possible that shoot the messenger gets MSs but not AOLs? Do they use each other? Require each other to function?
Is there another "back-door" function AOL could be exploiting or not blocking so others could exploit?
Any scan report, present or past, of a trojan that may have opened a port allowing access to the pop- ups?
Last thought: Adaware has 2 add-ons available that disable messenger, including one to stop back channel messenger in outlook express. Just WAGS. Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
persistent pop ups
by hawk1284 / January 7, 2005 10:29 AM PST

I have been using an Anti-pop up programme called "Pow" (from www.Analogx.com) for some time and find it is a great help in combating pop-ups and easier Web Browsing. Best of all it's a FREE download free of spyware etc.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?