Computer Help forum

General discussion

Perplexed by a computer I'm buiding!

by EverySingleNameIsTaken / June 7, 2007 11:59 AM PDT

Ok, I'm putting together a computer for someone, and I need some help. It's kind of important to me, becuase I rather insisted she let me do it, and there's been considerable delays, and I don't know why it's not working now.

Ok, well, I'll start listing everything I bought.

-A standard, mid sized ATX case that came with a 480W power supply.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811209022

-An Socket 754 AMD motherboard that came bundled with a GeForce 7100.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813138050

-A stick of Corsair, 1GB RAM that matches the mobo.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145505

-A 2.2GHz AMD64 3200+ processor.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819103035

I also have a CD/DVD burner, fans, additional sound and ethernet cards, as well as a hard drive.

When I first recieved it all in the mail, and put it all together, it wouldn't turn on. By that I mean it was all hooked up in the case, wired correctly (I mean the jumpers to the case buttons), and I got no response from it whatsoever. No lights turned on, no POST, nothing.

I know it was wired right, because my first assumption was that the power button wasn't hooked up correctly. Well I read the manual/jumper configuration over and over, and eventually even tried to boot that computer using the power button from my own computer, and vice versa. Well my case couldn't turn on the other computer, but the other case could turn on my computer. So I ruled out the case button was shorted. My computer is a similar architecture, and so I was able to assert that the other computer's processor, RAM, and power supply all worked in my computer.

I assumed the motherboard was broken. I got it replaced, and it just arrived today. Same problem. Sad Please help, I don't know what could possibly be wrong.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Perplexed by a computer I'm buiding!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Perplexed by a computer I'm buiding!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i'm perplexed...
by ramarc / June 7, 2007 12:36 PM PDT

as to why you purchased a dead platform. socket 754 is obsolete and you'll be hard pressed to find a cpu for it in 6 months. this biostar with the 7025 chipset would have had comparable graphics built-in, would support the current amd socket standard (am2) and would be cheaper overall. the money you saved on the video card and mobo would have allowed you to get an x2 3800+ dual core. if you can afford the restocking fees, consider exchanging the kit.

as for your problem, are you sure you've got the speaker connected properly (that's vital to get the beep codes)? did you connect the 4pin aux cpu power (beside the main atx connector)?

Collapse -
re
by EverySingleNameIsTaken / June 7, 2007 12:45 PM PDT
In reply to: i'm perplexed...

There won't be any upgrades on the computer, knowing the user, and I think there's been too much delay to resend it all back. I guess I did lack some foresight, but we are where we are.

There's no sound or response at all. The motherboard doesn't light up, and no fans move, and wouldn't you notice one of these, even if the POST wasn't making any sound? And yes, the power cables are all in. There's a 20 pin, an additional 4 pin that goes right in with the 20 pin, and the 4 pin aux. Can I ask if the additional 4 pin next to the 20 are necessary or why they're there? I'm not talking about the aux.

But the problem remains. Sad

Collapse -
like profitt said, start naked
by ramarc / June 7, 2007 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: re

make sure the mobo speaker works even if you have to swap it with your pc's speaker.

the 4pin connector beside the 20 pin is necessary... it provides direct cpu power.

Collapse -
The usuals.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 9:15 PM PDT

Too many parts. Start with NO CASE, just motherboard on cardboard, PSU, CPU+HSF, motherboard speaker and power up. It should beep in protest unless a jumper is on wrong.

One manual had the RESET mismarked and people would connect their HD LED to it and 1/2 the time they returned the board. The above test would have helped.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:
by EverySingleNameIsTaken / June 8, 2007 5:51 AM PDT
In reply to: The usuals.

What do you mean no case? How do I power up without using the case button? Short the jumper or something? Aside from returning the motherboard /again/, that was my last thought, that they were mislabeled.

And thanks for the help.

Collapse -
No case is NOCASE.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2007 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

How I power up without the case button is to use a metal pen and connect the power pins for a split second.

The reason for no case is that many install too many metal standoffs or there is something amiss with the case mounting. We have to move to bare minimum parts and work (crawl?) forward to a big machine.

Bob

Collapse -
perplexed by a computer I'm building
by arnyp / June 9, 2007 4:29 AM PDT

If nothing else that you have tried works, I suspect that you have not reset the jumper on the CLEAR CMOS panel from pins 2-3(CLEAR CMOS) to pins 1-2 (NORMAL). The board is normally shipped with the jumper in the Clear CMOS position ( pins 2-3 shorted). You must reset the jumpers to allow the board to power up and function normally.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?