Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

permissions-based user functionality lockout in windows xp

I am curious if you can lockout desktop / start menu functionality for particular users on a machine. I am making an arcade machine and I would prefer that the users to not have access to any functionality, but when I reboot I would like to be able to login and have that functionality. Thanks much!! Brent

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: permissions-based user functionality lockout in windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: permissions-based user functionality lockout in windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: permissions-based user functionality lockout in windows

In reply to: permissions-based user functionality lockout in windows xp

What you want is Embedded XP. The development kit is FREE and you can put just what you need from XP on the machine.

The seminars are free. In fact, the next show is at this link -> http://www.esconline.com/boston/ If you go, you can pester Microsoft and pick up the CD kit to kickstart it.

Licensing is far cheaper than a full blown XP Home or XP Pro.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: permissions-based user functionality lockout in windows

Only problem is that I'm using XP Pro and some of its functionality. This is just a one off, so its not a big deal for licensing reasons (because I've already got the license). Are you saying there is no way to get this done with XP Pro?

Collapse -

In reply to: permissions-based user functionality lockout in windows xp

Collapse -

So I just downloaded the software and it appears it does basically allow everything I need under system security, but do you have any idea what exactly is being edited here? Surely these are just running/stopping/controlling a service or changing an ini file. Do you know if this software will allow the settings to only be in effect for particular users.

Collapse -

There are big fat manuals on XP from MSDN that you can dive into. I only provide guidance to such information and can't duplicate such here due to copyright or the amount of information needed.

1. You can install XP Embedded with any feature that is in XP Pro. Until you know what XP Embedded is, you may have too many questions for me to answer. I suggest you attend the seminars (they are worldwide) and get the kit. It's free.

2. I can dual boot to the XP Embedded image from my machine that is running XP Pro. Again, this is something you would learn if you dived in.

3. As to what is being changed with that security kit. If you want to find out, look at http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml and the other tools.

4. I leave it to you to test.... and test and test.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.