Computer Help forum

General discussion

Permissions

by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 4:20 AM PDT

I have 2 partition drives in my unit (4 drives ) Windows vista asy I do not have permission to remove file on secondary drive. I have done everything to ensure admin settings and features. What is the problem and how do I fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Permissions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Permissions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have You Seen??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 5:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Permissions
Collapse -
(NT) Does any have an answer to the permissions issue?
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 5:04 AM PDT
Collapse -
that doesn't work I tried that already
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 5:06 AM PDT

I have full authority in settings and administror..non of that works that you provided

Collapse -
What should I do?
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 5:25 AM PDT

There is nothing in the settings or administrative setting that does not allow me to take ownership or anything in the users;bios;config; nothing that would be set otherwise not to allow me permission. Does anyone know what to do?

Collapse -
Is my question to complicated for this forum?
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 5:46 AM PDT
In reply to: What should I do?

I'm sorry is this a chat room or a tech support assistant forum? All I see is a bunch of chatting and I really need some help on this issue. I don't understand if I am in the right place. Can anyone help here or is this juat a chat room?

Collapse -
what kind of file is it?
by jonah jones / July 17, 2007 5:52 AM PDT
Collapse -
Its practicably all my files in the whole drive
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 6:03 AM PDT

I have a new system and I added my old drive (about a year old) and compatible to this unit as a slave drive. I can access them fine and use them fine. I just can't move anything around, well very few of them I can. I have applied full permission to the entire drive, folders, sub-folders and everything that it requires to be done. I know how to use vista quite well, but this permission thing is a problem. Microsoft doesn't even understand it. The OS has taken over control on its own and does not recognize the permissions granted. It really doesn't matter what type of file it is. Vista seems to have a missing link as they told me and the OS needs to be updated with a fix. they said SP1 will be out in the beginning of August but that still may not be included with the fix. My unit is a unique setup and Vista is missing the command script to identify the issue and allow it.

Collapse -
Okay..That software doen't work either + I had it already
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

Does anyone know the answer to this problem? Thats the real test question. Software is not going to do this. A command script is needed.

Collapse -
You didn't really tell ...
by Kees Bakker / July 17, 2007 7:58 AM PDT

- what exactly makes your PC unique, as you write
- what kind of command script should be needed to identify the issue and why you didn't write it yet
- what kind of command script should be needed to allow access and why you didn't write it uet
- what 'move around' means (copy/paste, drag and drop, command prompt copy?)
- what exactly happens (text of error message)
- why you think the drive is compatible if obviously something is wrong with it
- how the files came on the drive to start with
- if you can create new files on the drive and if you can move those
- if you can delete files on the drive
- if it's on both partitions of the slave drive
- what happens after you remove both partitions, create one new one and format it as NTFS: can you 'move them around' then?

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) "practicably"???...that just shot your credibility.
by Jack Ammann / July 17, 2007 2:03 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry, but..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 7:43 AM PDT

Since you don't want to work with me on your issue I've removed my reply and unsubscribed.

Email me if you change your mind.

Bob

Collapse -
I'll get back after I eat Must Read enclosed Information
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 9:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, but..

Anyways....I will provide all that info a little later...chow time..., but I will say this before I go and eat...I have done everything that you have already suggest and I know the only allowable thing available to fix the issue is write a script command and that needs to be done, also I said "the files were there from taking the drive from my other system that was about a year old and placed it into my new system as a slave drive". These are my documents and programs that I want to keep. AAlso I said that I can access them, just not move them and what I mean by that is copy, drag, move, rename, ect but I can open them. I have formated the drive in G: that gave me the same problem @ first but I followed the steps required and drive F is already in NTFS format supported by Vist and G: drive is now formatted that way. The OS does not apply permissions fully to the drive F: my system is as follows:

CPU

You Have: 2 processors running - Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz PASS
CPU Speed

Have: 3.00 GHz Performance Rated at 5.40 GHz
System RAM Have: 2.0 GB

Have: NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS (GeForce 8600 GTS)
Video Card Features - Minimum attributes of your Video Card Video have - 256.0 MB
have Video Card 3D Acceleration: Required - Yes , You
have Video HW Transform & Lighting: Required -
have Vertex Shader Ver.: 3.0
have Pixel Shader Ver.: You have - 3.0

Video Card Driver Version (DirectX)
Your driver version number is: 7.15.11.95 FYI: Your video card driver version is provided for your information, but it is not part of this analysis. But proper video card driver versions are important to the proper operation of your product.

DirectX Version
You Have: 10.0

Sound Card
Realtek High Definition Audio
Sound Card Driver Version
driver version number is: 6.0.1.5361

Hard Disk Capacity
Disk Space 320 GB Hard Disk Partition C: and D:8 GB

Disk Space 160 GB Hard Disk Partition F: and D: 9 GB

ATAPI DVD A DH16AYH ATA Device

Drive E:
Description CD-ROM Drive

Name ATAPI DVD A DH16AYH ATA Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 0
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMATAPI_DVD_

Drive H:
Description CD-ROM Drive

Name LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1633S ATA Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status OK
Transfer Rate -1.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID 1
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMLITE-ON_DVDRW_SOHW-1633S

Description Disk drive
Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Model Hitachi HDT725032VLA380
Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed hard disk
Partitions 2
Sectors/Track 63
Size 298.09 GB (320,070,320,640 bytes)
Total Cylinders 38,913
Total Sectors 625,137,345
Total Tracks 9,922,815
Tracks/Cylinder 255
Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size 290.41 GB (311,820,332,544 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes
Partition Disk #0, Partition #1
Partition Size 7.68 GB (8,249,955,840 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 311,820,364,800 bytes

Description Disk drive
Model ST3160023AS
Bytes/Sector 512
Media Loaded Yes
Media Type Fixed hard disk
Partitions 2
Sectors/Track 63
Size 149.05 GB (160,039,272,960 bytes)
Total Cylinders 19,457
Total Sectors 312,576,705
Total Tracks 4,961,535
Tracks/Cylinder 255
Partition Disk #1, Partition #0
Partition Size 8.01 GB (8,600,707,584 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 32,256 bytes
Partition Disk #1, Partition #1
Partition Size 141.03 GB (151,430,307,840 bytes)
Partition Starting Offset 8,600,739,840 bytes

Description Disk drive
Model Generic USB CF Reader USB Device

Description Disk drive
Model Generic USB SD Reader USB Device

Description Disk drive
Model Generic USB SM Reader USB Device

Description Disk drive
Model HP PSC 1610v USB Device

with a HP w2207 Wide Screen Monitor

Linksys wireless Broad Band card card if need and much more
By the way I have Cable Modem and an additional Dial-up Modem for just for back-up

Thats my system....can you fix the script....I going to eat dinner be back soon.....

Collapse -
By the way, I also have a 32 inch HDMI Monitor hooked.
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 9:29 AM PDT

Thats for my cable through the web ran through my computer..If you need additional information on my unit to fix this problem..make a list of what I am missing to let you know my spec OS Vist Home Prem.

Can you help now that I provided the information

Collapse -
I am Back...is their anymore system info you need.
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 9:46 AM PDT

Will That do it....you ask for alot of info. Can we work with that in order to answer this solve this problem?...

Collapse -
I didn't ask for that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 9:51 AM PDT

I just happened to see a new reply here and you didn't supply what I asked for. I had supplied the command, and example output so we could proceed.

When you are ready just drop me a line.

Bob

Collapse -
Well someone asked for it. Look in the comment history.
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: I didn't ask for that.

all drives have icacls /f and all users have /f what exactly are you looking for. please be a little more specific. I am absolutely sure all icacls are /f on all users and drives in bios and settings active to me as the administrator/owner.

I need to know what you are asking for me to understand what you really need for info....I have given everything in reply I believe.

Collapse -
Strange HD Designation...?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 10:00 AM PDT

It appears like you've got two "D:" drives. Is the information below correct:

Hard Disk Capacity
Disk Space 320 GB Hard Disk Partition C: and D:8 GB

Disk Space 160 GB Hard Disk Partition F: and D: 9 GB

That normally doesn't pan out well.. Which of those drives is the secondary "slave" which was added from the other machine? Have you tried renaming that particular D: drive to an unused drive letter?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I'm sorry thats suppose to be F: and G: 9 GB
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

If you pane down you will see that c;d;f;g; drives mistype sorry 4 drives

Collapse -
Then Please Answer Some Of The Questions That Were Asked..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

You mention that you can't "move" the files on the secondary drive but can access them.. What exactly mean by "access"? If they are files from the "My Documents" folder for example, can you open them and view the file.. Can you open a "Word" document if it resides there?

On most Vista machines, the drives are now SATA. (The Hitachi drive appears to be SATA. So does the Seagate.) Are both of your drives SATA or just the primary drive? If SATA, then there should be no jumpers...They should both be "master" and not one "slave" despite your calling one a "slave".

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Correct,,,everything you said is correct
by quia_temet / July 17, 2007 11:17 AM PDT

I just call it a slave drive and yes I can open and view them, I can not move them or rename them and all setting are correct....the issue error pops up the dialog box that you need permission to perform your action...I have everything set correctly...I had Microsoft logged in my machined and verified that...I want to manipulate the software with a script command to override the error that is within Vista. Otherwise I will have to wait until a update comes out. they did not know this error existed because they was dealing with a rare system set-up. They said the error is not in my settings but within Vista. Thats why I want to write a script command, in order to override the permissions error in the OS and apply it to the entire drive and or the subfolder I choose.

Collapse -
A Note...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 2:02 PM PDT

Your recent posts have been removed because they were off topic and against forum policy. Each of the individuals here VOLUNTEERS their time.. The moderators don't get paid to help you help yourself and your constant "whining" certainly doesn't help you get help from others. Folks help when they can find the time and for those that ask nicely. We also tend to assist others that help themselves.

Next, you don't have a "unique" or "rare system setup" except that you are now using Vista.. So far, it's not a "builder friendly" operating system. Your insistence on using a particular fix may or may not be the correct method of doing so and only patience and effective correspondence will help us help you.. You still haven't answered all of the questions posted by Kees above.. And it would sure help if you were to post the EXACT error message you are seeing when you attempt to "move" or "rename" them.. Can you "copy" and "paste" the files? Can you do it from a command prompt? Things like that..

By the way, at this point in time, I'm guessing you've disabled the UAC on Vista?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
This Thread Is Now Locked
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2007 2:28 PM PDT

Since it's clear that the original poster already knew the answer to his/her own question, this thread is basically SPAM.

Thank you for considering the forum policies in the future.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?