General discussion

PERMISSION!

Hello again, everyone!

I have recently installed W7 as a new operating system.

There are many configuration and compatibility problems and I am trying to sort them out.

One is very annoying.

I have installed my old HD as a means of backing up to and I have deleted most of it's contents.

There are two items that I am told that I need permission from ASUS/USER to delete. One is Flash 10c.ocx another is FlashUtil10c.exe
There are other folders to get to this one, and if I find a way to delete these two, I am not sure if the folders preceding them will delete either - but that is another problem for another day!

I tried "taking ownership" and "running as administrator" - which is how I am logged in anyway - although the computer seems to think otherwise or it would not say that I need administrator permission at times!

How do I obtain permission to delete items on the old HD from ASUS/USER?

(I find this very annoying to not be able to control my own computer! - Granny Rules!)

Thanks for any input,

Regards,

Colinito

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: PERMISSION!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: PERMISSION!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you want everything deleted,

why not reformat that old hard disk? That will delete everything.

Mark

- Collapse -
PERMISSION!

Mark,
Thanks for your advice,just simply re-formatting it is not what I want to do. Basically, I understand that deleting all the files and documents only removes the shortcuts to the files making them invisible, and the "deleted" files still reside on the hard drive. I think that formatting the disk also does not erase the data on the disk, only the address tables. I really want to wipe the disc clean or as I would put it, "dump all data"! I would be grateful for any directions or instructions in this action.

I would add, if it has any import in this matter, that my old HD is installed in the tower.

Might I also point out that what I have written above is what I have found out on the internet whilst trying to learn how to actually wipe the disc clean, and not what I know from personal experience. My experience is very limited in computer technology, which is my reason for visiting this forum!

With respect,

Colinito

- Collapse -
Not sure where you are going with this now.

Hi Colinito.

You're right, re-formatting does still leave traces on the disk and experienced and expensive data recovery experts could recovery a lot of the files on it. But from your first post I thought you were having difficulty deleting just a few remaining files, and that's why I suggested reformatting to 'finish' the job off.

If you want to erase the disk completely then you are talking about something like DBAN, Darik's Boot and Nuke;
http://www.dban.org/

But warnings are needed here. Since this is a 'boot up' utility, you can very easily wipe the wrong disk.

I hope that helps.

Mark

- Collapse -
PERMISSION!

Hello again, Mark,

You are correct in what you say. I shall explain.

All that is left on the old HD is a file , I shall give the names of the file and the subsequent (after opening them) files.
Windows\System 32\Macromed\Flash. This last one - Flash - opens the two that will not delete, namely - Flash 10c.ocx - Activex Control, and FlashUtil 10c - Application.

All the rest I deleted with the "delete" key, which I have learnt, does not actually 'Delete' them! THis is why I was hoping to be able to wipe the disc clean.

I feel slightly apprehensive about your mentioning the possibility of cleaning the wrong disc - that would be a complete disaster!

Maybe I had better leave things as they are, and try to find a way to use the old HD with the file "windows" still there.

I would add here, that there is nothing on the disc that I want to keep. All I wanted has been transferred to my new HD (1,000 GB)

Your thoughts on this would be welcome. Thanks for your continued interest.

Regards

Colinito

- Collapse -
Re: deleting files

Formatting the drive would be perfect way to empty it (wipe it clean). By far the best.

Alternatives, just in case you don't want to format (but I can't think of a good reason):
1. Hide the highest level folder (Windows). But this might be refused, because your new Windows doesn't realise this isn't the real one.
2. Download a program like MOVEONBOOT (free) and see if you can use that to delete those two files.

Kees

- Collapse -
PERMISSION !

Hello Kees,

You've done it again! Where would I be without you and the other great knowledgeable guys here!

I tried to open Run and enter FDISK - it was not recognised.

I then went to My Computer, right-clicked the old hard drive and selected Format from the drop-down menu. I then selected NTFS and clicked OK. It then stated that it was finished. When I looked at my old HD it was completely empty - showing 149GB free of 149GB!!

JOB DONE --

THANK YOU!!!

Regards,

Colinito (with a clean hard drive!)

- Collapse -
One quick note...

The default format option usually performs a quick format, after which is is still possible to recover files from the hard drive. Thus, it is still recommended that you use DBAN or a similar tool before disposing of your hard drive.

Regards,
John

- Collapse -
PERMISSION / One quick note

Thank you, once again, John,

I actually want to use it for backing up, not to clean it for disposal so that any data is not recoverable!

The job, that has just completed, allows me to use the old HD as a backup disc and for storing anything that I do not want on my new HD.

Regards,

Colinito

- Collapse -
Glad you got it sorted

Hi again Colinito.

Good to hear you did it. Well done, and thanks for reporting back.

Mark

- Collapse -
PERMISSION!

Thanks to you all. I shall now close the thread and stop my tracking.

Colinito

- Collapse -
As a safety precaution...

You can turn off the computer, unplug it, and disconnect your new hard drive, leaving just the one you want to reformat attached. You can then plug your computer back in, boot to the DBAN CD/DVD/Flash drive, and safely reformat the old drive, knowing the one your data is on cannot be mistakenly erased. Once it completes, shut down, unplug, and reconnect your new hard drive.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. You should always have a backup of what you cannot afford to lose, just in case something happens (malware, hardware failure, theft, etc) down the road.

CNET Forums