Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Periodic screen flashing

by Hesston / February 26, 2005 10:38 PM PST

Got this Armada 7400 laptop performing pretty well with your help. I intend to sell it to a co worker.
Now the screen will flash for no apparent reason. It has no set interval when it does it.
Running Win 98 366 hz 256 ram. Very few added programs
Winzip, Margi, Walmart internet, WinDVD, Mediaplayer9.
I have surfed a bit with no virus protection.
No screen saver is present. By flashing i mean that it just goes black off and on like flipping a light switch

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Periodic screen flashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Periodic screen flashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Offline, online, or both?
by reefurbb / February 26, 2005 10:55 PM PST
Collapse -
Periodic screen flashing
by Hesston / February 27, 2005 12:45 AM PST

It does it both off and on line. May be a coincidence but cursor activity sems to cause a flash. However it will do it on its own.

Collapse -
Detective Columbo says.."my wife had flashes"...
by reefurbb / February 27, 2005 7:48 PM PST

1. appliances in the house or other 115v surges. Heavy motors (fridge-freezer-well pump-star gate), or others somewhere close in the Roger's neighborhood.
2. Some PC application, such as Norton sys doc, that refreshes info often, or other PC diagnostic.
3. faint possibility of skinny power supply (less than 250-350 megawatts) that is glitching instead of blowing. Ditto about the hi volts (arc) or lo volts of monitor ( how much dust inside?)
4. radioactive gummy bears, Cylons.
If it were something about the PS/2 mouse (Tom or Jerry), the PC would likely lock up. You can always borrow one for a check. If it were about the PC video, it would likely knock the colors and screen size back.

Collapse -
"I have surfed a bit with no virus protection."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2005 12:50 AM PST

That's a bad idea. Since there's so little on it, boot up the RESTORE CDs and start over.

Since Free AVG is "free", it seems irresponsible to go without virus protection. See http://www.grisoft.com

Bob

Collapse -
As RP said.
by Bob__B / February 27, 2005 6:20 AM PST

Surfing with no protection may not be a wise thing to do.

I have surfed around for years and my anti-crudware scanners/blockers have had very little to do.

Some folks seem to be a magnet for that stuff.

Five minutes on the web and their toast.

Some day I'll figure out how they do that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.