Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Periodic Network Connection Problem

by Psyblade2 / May 12, 2009 7:55 AM PDT

I have a Dell XPS as the main computer with Vista. I also have a cheap Compaq with XP and a brand new Toshiba laptop with Vista. I have Cox Cable internet with a Scientific Atlanta 2100 modem and a Dlink DI-614+ router. The Dell is hardlined to the router and the Compaq and laptop are wireless.

In the last few months the computers have started to lose their internet connections after being on for a period of time. In the case of the Compaq, you might only be on line for 5 minutes and you can no longer make a connection (the green connection bar goes slow and finally stops, usually befor you get half way connected). In the case of the Dell, you might be on an hour or two before the same thing happens. The laptop seems to be more like the Compaq, being able to make connections for only minutes (instead of hours) before being unable to make another connection.

Also, about the same time this started, I have gotten infrequent (usually 3-4 times per month) blue screens with a NETIO.sys error. Don't know if it is related, but since NETIO.sys has to do with the network input/output, I wonder if it might.

RE the blue screen, dell support tried an MS update, but I already had it. Their next solution was to reload the Windows operating system, which I am trying to avoid and so have not done that yet.

RE the intermittent email connection, Cox had me bypass the router and just use the modem to the Dell. Still had the problem so I assume the problem is not the router. They said since the signal was getting to the modem, it was not a Cox problem (the modem was provided by cox).

A computer guy I know said (without seeing it) that it could be the network card on the Dell motherboard. I tried to update the network driver, but I already had the best/latest driver.

Any ideas or suggestions as to what might be the problem? The modem, the Dell hardware, or the Dell MS Vista software? Any ideas on what to do next? Am I correct in assuming the problem is not with the Compaq or the laptop? Should I try a different modem? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Periodic Network Connection Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Periodic Network Connection Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 12, 2009 10:13 AM PDT

Is the router setup per our forum sticky? Latest firmware, default settings and WPA?

Collapse -
Yes it is set up that way
by Psyblade2 / May 13, 2009 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one thing.

As far as I can tell, yes, it is the latest firmware and seems to be set up the way mentioned in the sticky for all wireless routers. That said, the problem happens even if I bypass the router and go straight from the modem to my Dell PC.

Collapse -
So the NETIO issue is Vista?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2009 11:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
NETIO.SYS problem and Blue Screen
by Psyblade2 / May 15, 2009 6:00 AM PDT

RE your first suggestion. STOP: 0x0000007E is not the error I get. I get Driver IRQL not equal to.... The fix for that is KB929546, but that is the one i already have.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 15, 2009 6:52 AM PDT

Back to it's maker. There are hardware and driver issues that can cause this. I cured one a while ago but you won't like the fix.

As to stop or irq less than. One of the things you get used to is the error messages never matching. You learn to accept the fix for an IRQ message even though the article was about a STOP.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?