General discussion

Performance vs Stability

I'm starting law school next year and I need a laptop for class. I also want to use this for gaming on occassion.

Battery life is not an issue. Each class room has outlets at every student desk. However, heat/stability is an issue as well as performance. My understanding is that as performance increases (with heat), stability decreases. I'm looking for the middle ground between performance and stability.

Best I've found so far is the Lenovo IdeaPad Y460P 439526U Notebook PC.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=93784&CatId=4938

Given the specs, can anyone guess how stable this machine would be? I'd be running the computer for 4-5 hours at a time.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Performance vs Stability
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Performance vs Stability
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Sorry but gaming on laptops is known to be trouble.

And 4 to 5 hour runs without adding more cooling or expecting trouble after two years is well, wishful thinking.

Gamers tend to be a problem for laptops. That is, I've yet to find one I can recommend without noting that trouble is going to follow.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks,

That's what I feared.

The 4-5 hour run times would be mostly for class and word processing. I suppose I wouldn't use it for games so much. Perhaps it's not worth the extra hardware.

I suppose I just want something that will remain competitive over the next 4 years. Perhaps that is wishful thinking as well. Maybe I'll just settle for a dual core for endurance.

- Collapse -
That helped.

Look at the units that have SWITCHABLE GRAPHICS. These greatly reduce the impact of the gaming GPU on the heat and power use.

If you pull back to the rather nice dual core i5 or i7 you see nice performance without the heat and power impact of the quad core i7.

The 4 year laptop for college is a challenge. While I see folk get the much, usually it's just barely and none are "competive" in 2 years. Moore's law remains in effect even after this much time. For example that iPad 2 can challenge a super computer from 1990.

Having said all that, did you look at the Alienware 14 or 15 with the i5? How about a nice Apple Mac Pro?
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks

Thank you. I like the switchable graphics idea. I can't seem to find any laptops with that, though. I've checked Tigerdirect and Newegg. No luck.

Apple computers are overpriced. Alienware too.

- Collapse -
Link, comment.
- Collapse -
Most of the mainstream i7 processors

CNET Forums