General discussion

performance of mob HD5870 while connected with full HD LEDtv

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER"> I am having a MSI GX660(mobility HD5870, 4gb RAM, core i5-460M). I am planning to buy a full HD LED tv and want to play games on it by connecting my laptop with it. What i want to know is that i used to play games(like bulletstorm,crysis 2 etc) on my laptop on its native resolution i.e.1366*768 with max settings and without any lags,now when i play games on a full HD LED tv,to what extent does it decrease the performance of my graphic card while playing games as i'm having a single mobility HD 5870 in my laptop.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: performance of mob HD5870 while connected with full HD LEDtv
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: performance of mob HD5870 while connected with full HD LEDtv
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's not easy to predict but let's do the numbers.

Let's say you get 50 FPS on average in the current settings.

Let's increase the pixel count from 1366x768 to 1080 on the TV.

Here's the formula to guess what the FPS could drop to:

(1366 x 76Cool / (1920 * 1080) * 50 = 25.2962963 FPS

That's WORST case and rarely hits that number.
Hope this helps,
Bob

- Collapse -
display preference

okay. so you mean that even i shift from 1366*768(my native laptop resolution) to a full HD LED tv(1920*1080),my graphic card (HD5870M) is powerful enough to run decentely on a fully HD LED tv. but then what about the refresh rate ,i mean in my laptop its 60 whereas in the LED tv that i'm goin to buy its 120 hz i guess. can i tweak that setting to once i connect it from my laptop.

- Collapse -
I've yet to see any 120Hz refresh rate HDTVs.

I have seen 120Hz panels but the refresh rate on the source video was still 60. I'd rather the sales folk do their job and explain why this is.

I predict you will not be changing the refresh rate.
Bob

CNET Forums