Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Performance

On XP, how do I read the 'performance' data displayed when clicking task manager/performance? What gives me the equivalent information that I can get in Win 98 My computer/properties/performance?
David

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Performance
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Performance
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not much

In reply to: Performance

Basically what you see is what you get - however, you can use other things in Manag Tools - you have to read up about it though (in Help and Support) - its not like the windows 98 - basically you have to use "snap-ins" which you can taylor to your needs.
Peter

Collapse -
Huh?

In reply to: Not much

Thanks for the reply, fellow-countryman, but as a newbie, I don't know what your reply means - and the Help section in Performance Management is double-Dutch to me!!
David

Collapse -
Which part dont you understand

In reply to: Huh?

for "help and support" click start then "help and Support" then do a search for "snap ins"

To view a basic performance graph > start/admin tools/performance
then click on the Systems monitor folder a graph should appear - right click on the graph and select "add" - you will see a lot more things you can monitor - from here you are on your own as it takes a bit of playing with and reading.
Peter

Collapse -
All of it

In reply to: Which part dont you understand

I searched 'snap ins' and am none the wiser - I still can't understand what they are and what they do.
I look at the performance graphs and I can't understand or read them and their 'help' doesn't help me to. Surely somewhere I can find out how to understand it all.

Collapse -
System information.

In reply to: All of it

Hi I recommend you download EVEREST HOME (free) It will give you a ton of information on your system with the minimum of jargon. Good luck Stewart

Collapse -
As I said before "not much"

In reply to: All of it

But its all there but in another form - goto help and Support (HS) and look in the folder "performance and maintenance"
Then look in "Use Tools to view your computer information and diagnose problems"
There are lots of things there as well.
Give it time, you will find what you want and eventually understand it all - but keep looking at the Help and support.
When you were in the "performance graph" did you look in help and support there as well. And did you try and right click and add other graphs for eg your network connection speed.
Win98/ME was no better, windows has never been crash hot on the performance monitoring toys.
Peter

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.