Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Perfect timing from the catholic church again!

by Dan McC / July 9, 2004 1:51 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Perfect timing from the catholic church again!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Perfect timing from the catholic church again!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: better late than never... Maybe????
by Mary Kay / July 9, 2004 2:27 AM PDT
Collapse -
MK, you're so kind and generous of spirit.You should be Pope
by Dan McC / July 9, 2004 2:53 AM PDT

Oh, wait.

NO GIRLS! ! !

Wink

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re:And they don't let you retire. Well I won't elaborat
by Mary Kay / July 9, 2004 5:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Popes can retire.
by Dan McC / July 9, 2004 5:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: (NT) Popes can retire -- it's happened once.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 9, 2004 6:17 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) Popes can retire.

More often, they're "retired," via poison. As reportedly John Paul I was Sad

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Don't tell me, Dave...
by J. Vega / July 9, 2004 8:12 AM PDT

You said, "As reportedly John Paul I was". Don't tell me, let me guess, your "proof" was the third Godfather movie (grin). BTW, watch out for "movie history", I seem to remember once when organized crime was the subject your "history" of Bugsy Siegel reeked of the Warren Beatty movie "Bugsy". (BTW, not the thread that touched upon where the term "Mafia" first appeared and became popular in the U.S. press.)

Collapse -
Re: Don't tell me, Dave...
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 9, 2004 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't tell me, Dave...
Collapse -
Re: Perfect timing from the catholic church again!
by SE Moderators / July 9, 2004 3:41 AM PDT

Hey, Dan.

We didn't apologize for slavery until Clinton -- and many on the right said that was inappropriate!

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
by Dan McC / July 9, 2004 4:18 AM PDT

I always hope for better behavior.

Dan

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / July 9, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

(And the Inquisition?)

Excepting the anti-Semitism, nobody is still around from the others.

Seriously, there have been terrible events in the name of religion, and not limited to the Catholic Church.

I have doubts that the Orthodox Church- Russian or Greek- will ever unite with the Roman Church, not only because of the history, but because of the Papacy.

Church bodies continue to split, even today.

I admire the Russian Church for keeping alive over so many years under terrible circumstances.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Russian Orthodox

Hi, Angeline.

>>I admire the Russian Church for keeping alive over so many years under terrible circumstances.<<
me too, but it's a dying Church. Only the old women go to Church these days, based on what we saw last year (I will get those pictures up when we return...) The Russian orthodox Church is greatly in need of a reform movement like Vatican II (except JP2 is rapidly eroding many of the modernizations that were voted in then Sad ) For example, the Orthodox liturgy uses a Medeival Russian that no one but the clergy can understand -- much as if the Mass in America were said in Middle English.

Collapse -
by Angeline Booher / July 9, 2004 6:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Russian Orthodox

Hi, DaveK,

A bed and breakfast we frequented was a block from a large church. As we usually were there in the same time period, we always hit a Novena. A huge attendance.

By the women, that is. The men stood across the street, having great concversations. (Joe loved to join them.) But it apparently had always been that way. We saw it while passing by rural churches.

They are having the same problem, though,in losing their young.

Angeline

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 9, 2004 7:34 AM PDT

Hi, Angeline.

Was this in a Russian community over here, or did you and Joe visit Russia?

Collapse -
Nope.
by Angeline Booher / July 9, 2004 7:56 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Nope.
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 9, 2004 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Nope.

Hi, Angeline.

Ireland??? Not where one thinks of a large Orthodox community!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Times have been a-changing/
by Angeline Booher / July 9, 2004 9:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Nope.
Collapse -
I assume you were refering to...
by J. Vega / July 9, 2004 7:32 AM PDT

I assume you were refering to "the Spanish Inquisition" part of the Inquisitions. How long did it take for many non-Catholic (after the Protestant split) churches to apologize for things like burning "witches"?

Collapse -
Re: I assume you were refering to...
by Angeline Booher / July 9, 2004 8:07 AM PDT

You are correct, J.

While I was writing the above, I also was thinking of Joan of Arc. I got a wonderful book about her as a child, then saw the movie with Ingrid Bergman. Though I am not naive, it is still hard to think what people can do to others out of ignorance, like burning them at the stake.

And to think that in the Salem Witch Hunts, for instance, people stood around and watched .... and listened.:-(

Angeline

Collapse -
by Diana Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 11:15 AM PDT

Religion was and is used as an excuse for so many of the evil things people do to each other. It isn't just Catholics that burned witches; Protestants did it too. They both ran progroms throughout Europe against Jews and, really, anyone that didn't bow down to the current religious flavor. Also condemning someone of witchcraft because the local ruler wants his/her property didn't stop with Ahab and Jezebel.

The people usually just bowed to the religion of the current ruler. At the time of the American Revolution, the United States was the first country that really offered freedom of religion. Rome might have come close.

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / July 10, 2004 2:04 AM PDT

Hi, Diana.

Witch hunts weren't really about religion -- they were aimed at intelligent, indpendent women living alone, and thus not kow-towing to the male-dominated society of the times.

Collapse -
Burning witches, Diana...
by J. Vega / July 10, 2004 2:16 AM PDT

Diana, back when the Inquisitions were going on, the Catholic Church examined the question of "witches" and ruled (in the era of the Spanish Inquisition) that there was no such thing. The Protestant religions did not agree, and continued to burn people for witchcraft.
Ghosts of that disagreement go on to this day. Ever notice (especially in the "Deep South") that some fundamentalist religions are opposed to, and fight things they say are dealing with witchcraft, down to the level of objecting to kids celebrating Halloween and some dressing as witches. Notice that the Catholic Church has no trouble with kids and Halloween, that church found the "witch" nonsense to be a myth long ago.

Collapse -
Catholic bashing again????
by Steven Haninger / July 9, 2004 12:21 PM PDT

Here's how I see this. We have a world in which, if persons of one religion step on (or seem to) the toes of another there is risk of great danger. The written and oral histories of many religious groups include volumes on the abuses they endured while holding onto or attempting to spread their own faiths. There was plenty of violence and death. At one time or another, all had a part as victims and another as agressors. Children of a religious faith family/community, learn of persecution at a most impressionable age when real thought and wisdom to properly digest such information is not yet present in their own brains. They learn to hate without really understanding why. They accept it and never get over it and just pass it on to their own children. Centuries...milleniums go by and it's still status quo. Now we have an aging Pope of a church with it's own, and not always stellar, history who may be making a small attempt to recognize that in his own faith sins have been committed and is asking forgiveness. To me, this is the essence of reconcilliation and not a bad place to start as an example to others. Yes, I am catholic. I am not a catholic "apologist" (the term refers to a defender and not one saying he/she is sorry) but I am proud that our Pope has done this. Bashing sometimes strengthens ones convictions so keep it coming if you wish.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Just observing
by Dan McC / July 10, 2004 1:10 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?