General discussion

Perfect portable dvd player for car with avi & sdhc?

I need to keep my 3-year-old entertained for long trips and I have tons of DivX & avi files of her favorite shows. I've compared netbooks to portable dvd players and it appears that the portable dvd player outperforms a netbook for car viewing since it was specifically designed for this purpose.

But now I can't find a portable dvd player that doesn't have some deal-breaking defect - be it weird resolution specs, no divx/avi support, or low car compatibility.

Ideally I'd like the following:
--8+ inch screen @ standard ntsc resolution
--DivX & avi support
--SDHC slot (with divx & avi support)
--car lighter adapter
--car mounting kit (or one available)
--decent speaker volume
--decent resistance to skipping

If I had to give up one of these requirements, it would be the SDHC since I can just burn the avi files to a dvd.

Performance-wise, the toshiba sd-p2900 seems great - but it doesn't appear designed for car use. It only folds out like a notebook (not flat) and it requires a bulky battery. Reviews also say it skips too much for car use.

Does anyone have experience with a portable dvd that supports avi files and works well in the car?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Perfect portable dvd player for car with avi & sdhc?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Perfect portable dvd player for car with avi & sdhc?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you ever find what you were looking for?

I'm in the market for the same thing and I see that you posted almost a year ago. Let me know if you ever bought one and what your experience was like.
Thanks
K

- Collapse -
Take a look at this one,but...

CNET Forums