Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Perennial Problems with Office 2003

by lsk333 / September 7, 2006 11:49 PM PDT

I have had difficulty with several of my Office 2003 programs including Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint. I'm not sure if the software is merely buggy or if something else more insidious is going on. Anyway, I have tried to uninstall the entire office package and reinstall only to have everything come back entirely as it was before along with it's little tics and problems.

Specifics:

I have a brand new custom built computer (built it myself...thank you very much!!!) Windows XP with SP2 and updates, Kaspersy Suite so I shouldn't have any nasties running around. I am a statistician so I have various pieces of technical software. I'm not a gamer so I don't have any big games on the computer.

Outlook never closes properly...or so it complains. Although I don't notice any problems I always get that annoying popup window from Microsoft telling me it didn't close properly and wouldn't I like to report the problem to them. The answer is a big fat NO!!! How do I shut that window off? At this point, I don't care if Outlook is shutting down properly...just quit bugging me after the fact.

My Word seizes up during my work. Suddenly the mouse cursor freezes and nothing moves. I can't call up the task manager with ctl alt del...so the entire system is locked-up. I originally thought it was my wireless laser mouse but it only happens in Word. It also gives me headaches when I try to call up an attachment from Outlook. It sits indefinitely with a partial window. I have to click through other windows and go back to Word to get the full view. This is so weird.

Finally, my PowerPoint and Acrobat fight constantly. This shouldn't happen. When I try to save something in acrobat format it tries to save it twice. I can't even explain what's happening because it's so weird.

Anyway, it seems to me that my install of Office 2003 is not very good. What I need to do is uninstall the software COMPLETELY. I imagine some of my settings are at fault and I need to get rid of them and start completely fresh. How do I get rid of everything so that I can start over with a clean slate?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Perennial Problems with Office 2003
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Perennial Problems with Office 2003
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 12:02 AM PDT

My Outlook 2000 never closes without me wondering if it really did. Outlook XP and 2003 seem to suffer the same malady.

As to Word, you need to try the usual NORMAL.DOT deletion trick.

As to Acrobat, you would try the manual cleanup of ACR*.TMP files and their latest version. It's not bugfree but we seem to get by anyway.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the help but...
by lsk333 / September 8, 2006 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too.

Hi, I did a search to find the Normal.dot file and came up empty. What directory is it in?

Collapse -
If you didn't find it, you likely don't use Word.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 3:36 AM PDT

Given the issues with Microsoft's file searching I can only suggest you use something better.

Even a command prompt finds files Microsoft couldn't with their search. Here's my command.

DIR \NORMAL.DOT /s/a/p

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks...I found and deleted the file
by lsk333 / September 8, 2006 4:59 AM PDT

I saw there was a back-up saved from a couple of weeks ago which may have contributed some to my problems. I deleted both.

Thanks for the info on searching. It didn't occur to me to use dos to do a search. I've come up empty too many times using Window's search so this will come in very handy.

Now if I can get Outlook under control, that will be a vast improvement.

Collapse -
About Outlook not exiting. Do you have a PDA?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 5:29 AM PDT

I found the times it didn't exit was when...

I did a hotsync and Outlook was not running. The sync (activesync does this too!) fires up some hidden executable of outlook and it doesn't exit.

I have no firm fix but find that if I run Outlook, sync and then exit outlook after the sync all is fine.

Be sure to explore any and all ADDINs such as norton and more to Outlook. They can be problematic.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Actually I have a Treo but...
by lsk333 / September 8, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

I can tell you that the problem with Outlook is consistent and constant. I don't hotsync my Treo on a daily basis but the problem with Outlook is consistent. No matter what...when I exit Outlook, I get the error notification window from Microsoft. Again, is there a way to turn off that annoying window?

Collapse -
What error notification?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 2:05 PM PDT

I thought you were writing about the more common problem.

Details please.

Bob

Collapse -
You know the Outlook didn't shut down properly error message
by lsk333 / September 8, 2006 2:23 PM PDT

Every single time I shut Outlook I receive the same error message...

"Microsoft Outlook has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell Microsoft about this problem."

Every time...without fail. Ok so Outlook has some kind of funky issue. I have checked out the "Event Viewer" and there does appear to be some kind of problem each time Outlook shuts down. But, I've tried to repair and reinstall Outlook and nothing has worked. The only thing I can say is that Outlook's functionality does not appear to be impaired. I anticipate that at some point it will decide to self-destruct in a big way but since I don't seem to be able to repair it, I'd settle for getting rid of the annoying messages.

Suggestions?

Collapse -
Try OUTLOOK /SAFE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 9, 2006 12:16 AM PDT

If we run outlook in it's safe mode and it shuts down proper then it's not an outlook issue. I already noted addins but maybe you overlooked that.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!