Speakeasy forum

Alert

Pepsi To Lay Off 8,700

by James Denison / February 8, 2012 9:18 PM PST
Pepsi layoff in near future.

PURCHASE, N.Y. (AP) -- PepsiCo plans to cut 8,700 jobs in a
restructuring as it seeks to offset high commodity costs and increases
investment in advertising and marketing in North America.
The maker of Pepsi soda, Tropicana juice and
Doritos chips said Thursday that the job cuts are 3 percent of its work
force. The company says it expects to save an additional $1.5 billion by
2014 — on top of $1.5 billion in cost cutting it previously announced.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pepsi To Lay Off 8,700
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pepsi To Lay Off 8,700
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yeah, heard about it this morning....
by Josh K / February 8, 2012 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Pepsi To Lay Off 8,700

.....in a letter from the CEO.

I don't think I'd be on the radar but it's distressing nonetheless.

Collapse -
Sip and crunch me
by Willy / February 9, 2012 1:08 AM PST

Well, they could have save $1B from a contest they had some yrs. ago. What idiot thought of that, even if I won, I couldn't spend it fast enough. I wish they stick to the basics and not re-invent the same stuff they always had. After all what else can you do to a "cola" and all the other products they sell. Bring back Mrs. Crawford, she straighten they're act. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Sounds like a well thought out solution
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2012 1:33 AM PST

So they're losing competitive ground and the answer is to lay people off and increase their advertising? Could anybody think that maybe competitive edge has less to do with advertising hype and more to do with product? Naw...consumers are stupid. We don't care about quality goods. We'll buy anything if we like the ads. Happy

Collapse -
That is management 101
by Diana Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 3:12 AM PST

When in trouble with market share, increase the advertising budget.

Diana

Collapse -
I remember reading about Coke trucks being
by Diana Forum moderator / February 9, 2012 3:17 AM PST

lined up at the border when the US and N. Korea were talking about trading with each other. I don't know if that was true or not.

One thing I do know is true is there are villages in the Amazon that are reached by boat for a week and, then, hiking in for 2-3 weeks. There are village stores that mostly have local products and Coke. They haul it in by mule every couple of months. That is marketing.

Diana

Collapse -
We were in Hawaii over the summer
by Josh K / February 9, 2012 4:06 AM PST

In a little antique store in a small town on the Big Island was a vintage Pepsi machine that worked. It had both Coke and Pepsi in it, which is a big no-no. My wife casually mentioned that I worked for Pepsi and the store owner went white. She probably thought I was going to take the machine away from her, LOL.

Collapse -
I remember
by James Denison / February 9, 2012 4:13 AM PST

the old Coke ice boxes in convenience stores. The rule there was half was to be filled with Coke products, the other half with other stuff, or at least that's the way it always was. The Coke product was on the left lift up door and the oddball stuff like white's ginger ale, RC, diet rite, triple AAA, vernons, yahoo drink, and some others were on the right side. Of course that's not a vending machine.

Collapse -
The basic rule now....
by Josh K / February 9, 2012 4:45 AM PST
In reply to: I remember

....is that if the vending machine has the Pepsi name on it, only PepsiCo products can be in it. Same for Coke machines. The Coke/Pepsi drivers who stock those machines check that. I'm not sure what steps are taken when the rules are found being broken.

Collapse -
Maybe you remember the chest type vending machines
by Steven Haninger / February 9, 2012 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: I remember

with the bottles held by their necks between rails. The bottles were also cleaned and refilled over and over. You'd sometimes get one that was fairly beat up. It was a bit of a bonus to pull one out that was free of chips and scratches.

Collapse -
I also really like it when the big news is
by Steven Haninger / February 13, 2012 6:51 AM PST
New packaging! Same product in the package? That's to get excited about? Another I've saw recently was a package designed to be more eco friendly by making the label smaller. So I should feel "green" about this? Yep. We consumers are just plain stupid and gullible. Happy
Collapse -
Layoffs took place this morning
by Josh K / February 13, 2012 4:00 AM PST

At least in Texas. Several people I know lost their jobs. Apparently I've survived as I haven't heard anything.

Collapse -
You are lucky
by James Denison / February 13, 2012 8:18 AM PST

And I guess it's good you got back out of Texas. Seniority doesn't seem to count anymore. Wife was laid off after 20 years. She's taking time off before looking for another job. I told her makes no sense in the holidays and right after, to wait for Spring instead.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?