Computer Help forum

General discussion

pep up an old box

by gneely2 / September 8, 2006 9:00 AM PDT

I have an old atlas micro computer from early 2001that I would like to get a little more life out of. It has a 900Mhz Athlon on a via kt133 biostar M7VKB-2 socket A motherboard. It has 512 ram running at 100mhz. I would like to step it up to 133 fsb if possible and maybe try to find a little faster Athlonfor it "CHEAP", but I haven't been able to find a manual for it on the net.
I would sure appreciate any help I could get as to where to find this info and a picture showing where the jumpers or switches are located.
thanks in advance,
gary
gneely2

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pep up an old box
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pep up an old box
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HEN's TEETH
by Scrotes4Life / September 8, 2006 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: pep up an old box

Finding newer / faster processors for those Socket As is like finding hen's teeth. I think Newegg has one that is a 1.2ghz. Those things are getting dated. Hope you can find something.

Collapse -
What OS are you running ? What video card are you using ?
by VAPCMD / September 8, 2006 11:50 AM PDT

What hard disks...mfg and model # are you using ?
What are you using the PC for ??

Collapse -
old box
by gneely2 / September 9, 2006 11:23 AM PDT

I am running xp,sp2; an older nvidea riva tnt2 64 video card; 60GB western Digital and a 300GB Maxtor HHD's; I use the pc mainly for surfing and digital photos; my grandkids also do homework and play some older games.
This old box has served us great for over 5 years now and should probably be retired but I want to make it last awhile longer. I would only need to get up to 1.2-1.4 Mhz
to make it. I have found the manual for the mobo since I first posted, but it states that cpu clock speeds over 100MHz are not recommended. I have two sticks of pc133 256MB of ram and award bios PG 6.00.
I have never done any over clocking and am alittle leary of frying this thing but would be open to trying.
thanks again,
gneely2

Collapse -
There's always Linux
by john_mcdoogle / September 9, 2006 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: old box

On older hardware, Linux can usually eek out acceptable performance levels for another year or two beyond Windows. A lot of people are really quite amazed at the wasted potential of older hardware under Windows when they first try Linux.

Since the games are older there's a decent chance you can get them working using one of the many emulators for Linux, and there shouldn't be a problem with the other stuff at all. It's also free, so you've really got nothing to lose by trying it.

Collapse -
100% sure of the model number ? Can't locate manual for
by VAPCMD / September 10, 2006 1:32 AM PDT
In reply to: old box

the model you cited on mfg website.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
pep up an old box
by Bob__B / September 8, 2006 11:58 PM PDT

Even if you could find a faster athlon it won't be much faster (1000-1200) and the price may give you pause.

If I'm reading your post correct you have pc100 ram.

http://www.crucial.com/

Shows the machine can handle pc133 ram, that will give you a little jump in perf but again the price may give you pause.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?