Computer Help forum

General discussion

Pentium V - anyone know when we will see this release?

As I've posted in a previous message, I'm looking for a new computer. I'm not a computer buff in that I know a lot about what makes them work just that I like to "create" on them so building one on my own would not be possible. I wouldn't have a clue as to where to begin.

I've been advised to consider a Mac but unfortunately I have software that I will want to install on the new computer that would not be compatible. Also, on the occasion that I bring work home, my office computer is an IBM so that wouldn't work either.

What I hate doing, however, is purchasing a computer this month and the Pentium V be released next month. Does anyone "with their ear to the ground" know if this is going to happen?? My son works overseas in China and in a quick "catch-up" conversation, I thought that is what he mentioned but I'm not sure.

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentium V - anyone know when we will see this release?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentium V - anyone know when we will see this release?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Pentium V - anyone know when we will see this release?

In reply to: Pentium V - anyone know when we will see this release?

I'm not going to speculate, but the pentium 4 is still an immature processor: The pentium m dothan architecture proves this.

Right now you are not going to be waiting for a Pentium 4, but rather 64-bit CPU's. Intel is currently having problems with its commercial 64 bit wafers, but it should be here soon enough...especially when winxp 64 final is released.

Aside from the switch to 64-bit processing, the CPU is no longer the bottleneck on most systems: Gamers need a faster video card, artists need a faster cd/dvd reading/writing options, HD's need to become faster, so on and so forth. Don't forget the software problem too...a computer is only as fast as the programs that let you interact with it.

You would be more than safe to invest in a fast pentium 4 now...it will last you many years.

A 64-bit athlon is another good choice, and may provide you with more software/speed options in the (not-so-distant) future, compared with a pentium 4.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Pentium V - anyone know when we will see this release?

Collapse -

In reply to: Pentium V - anyone know when we will see this release?

You might want to re-evaluate the Mac platform again. Unless your company uses custom inhouse software, there's probably something analagous to it for the Mac. And it can read/write PC floppies/CDs/DVDs without any issue. Most apps can even open files from PC counterparts. You can even install a PC emulator on a Mac, to run Windows in a window. If you give us an idea of what you're looking to do, we might be able to better tell you if a Mac would indeed be a good choice.

But I'd have to agree with the other poster. Intel chips are over priced and under performing for most things. AMD processors give much more bang per buck.

Collapse -

I just can't resist replying to this on so many levels....
ok first the PC emulator for mac is SLOW AS HECK
The IT guy at school has the school provided Pentium-M 1.4gHZ and his own Mac G4 powerbook (older but not too old) and he has the XP Pro emulator...it takes it like 20x longer than the Pentium-M to do anything...he let me sit and watch them both boot...the Pentium-M was loaded an running in less than a minute with the PC Emulator on Mac still loading...
Secondly Intel is going to release a new CPU in Q1 2005, their plan is the 4.0GHZ Pentium 4 chip...which is behind schedule...it should have been out Q4 of this year. Supposedly Intel was thinking of calling the Prescott core LGA 775 chips Pentium 5 but decided not to...but the Pentium 4 has a long way to go. Also the Prescott core is 64-bit..to a degree, it's an embedded feature that you cannot unlock. Much like Hyper-Threading in the previous non-HT P4's...so supposedly the D0 stepping will allow 64-bit P4 chips.
This is all word of mouth info..except the 4GHZ chip..that will be here in 2005
well best of luck shopping
also the PowerPC G5 2.5GHZ is about in line with AMD's platform...
my suggestion would be to get the Athlon64 CPU...

Collapse -

Emulation is always slower than the real thing, which is why you never use it for gaming, but for word processing and that sort of thing, it can be quite usable.

Long ago, Apple made special add-on boards with a 486 CPU on them to allow for more native emulation. Not sure if there's still anything like that avaliable for the Mac platform, but if there is, it could make for the best of both worlds for a lot of people.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.