HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Pentium D vs Xeon

by bttywhit / February 24, 2006 3:19 AM PST

I thinking about building up a high end workstation for mainly digital imaging purposes. Of course this system will initially be running XP Pro and eventually Vista when available and stable.

I'm trying to decide which processor would give me the biggest bang for the buck. The Dual Core Xeon processors are a little pricy so I thought maybe going with a lesser priced Xeon that's not Dual Core. So that brings me to this question:

What advantages would a "non-dual core" Xeon with HT have over a Dual Core Pentium D with HT?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentium D vs Xeon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentium D vs Xeon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why not use the benchmarks from..
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 3:24 AM PST
In reply to: Pentium D vs Xeon

Tomshardware.com? While it doesn't matter to me which you choose, any dual core with 64-bit would be nice if you are sticking to Windows. I've met a few that seem to not understand that in just a few months their pricey top of line machine could be passed up by some now run of the mill box that cost 1/3 the money. There's a FREE lesson there if you don't get upset about this.

Then again some will get upset that I bring up that discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
Since we are on the topic
by ikjadoon / February 24, 2006 5:03 AM PST

of emerging technologies.

I hate the fact that I can buy a $$$$ system tonight, and within 2 weeks rumours of a new technology will come up, a few months later it is retailed and even Dell is putting some in. And sometimes you can buy a $$$$ system and then spend $$$ a few months later for upgrades, and then a new system because your system has already become obsolete. But thankfully, not many companies nor people think that they/we must always have the fastest tech around.

~Ibrahim~

There was once a time when looking at a game box was to learn about the game. Nowadays, you just need to look at the bottom.

Collapse -
Why not use the benchmarks from..
by bttywhit / February 24, 2006 5:10 AM PST

Thanks, I looked at the benchmarks. Don't see Xeon's compared though. But, I still would like to know where these processors fit in all of this.

Collapse -
Try this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2006 6:30 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.