HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

Pentium 4 OR Pentium M - For Software Development

by tomahuja / July 21, 2004 6:37 PM PDT

Folks,
I am looking to buy laptop soon. I work as Database developer and would like to install databases and other related application on my laptop. I am looking for performance and at the same time light weight. I am not sure if I shuld buy P4 or pentium M. I dont play games or do any video/audio stuff. Basically I want to use for learning and running softwares. Please give me the basic configuration to look for.
Performance is an important criteria in selection and I dont want to carry a lot of pound either though I dont travel a lot. Any suggestions are welcome ! Happy
Thanks
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentium 4 OR Pentium M - For Software Development
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentium 4 OR Pentium M - For Software Development
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Pentium 4 OR Pentium M - For Software Development
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2004 11:05 PM PDT

While I do development on the desktop, when I travel, my P3-600MHz, 256MB RAM, 11G HD, CDRW ACER is what I tote with me. I have MySQL running under Windows 2000 and will pull up Visual Studio to make at site changes. The CDRW is great since I can put the product on CD and leave a copy for them and a backup for me.

I would find it hard to believe you can go wrong with today's P4 or M CPUs.

Tip: You'll want XP Pro or maybe go back to Windows 2000 Professional.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Pentium 4 OR Pentium M - For Software Development
by tomahuja / July 22, 2004 5:54 AM PDT

Which one would be better - XP or 2000? Never worked with XP before dont want to get into trouble-shooting my application after installing.

Collapse -
Your choice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 7:50 AM PDT

You are the developer and will know which you like better.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Your choice.
by KenSanramon / July 22, 2004 7:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Your choice.

If you will be moving the notebook around at all and especially if traveling or using the built in wi-fi a lot get the Pentium M (at least 1.6 Pentium M or above as that is the new Dothan line with 2mb L2 system cache -- older Banias line 1.5 Pentium M and smaller has 1mb L2 system cache).

If you are going to be using it as a desktop replacement (parked on a desk and only moving it around the office) than consider a Pentium 4M or Athlon 64 cpu (this will take advantage of upcoming 64bit windows -- Bob, where's the endorsement !!!

The Centrino notebooks are thinner and lighter and use far less battery power as they require smaller heatsinks for the cpu and video card.

I have a Pentium M 15.4" widescreen Compaq X1000 series and that is only 6.5 pounds. If you get a 14.1" screen or smaller (example Toshiba Techra series) you will drop down to the 5 pound range or even under that with a 13.3" screen.

Collapse -
The issue here isn't so clear.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2004 8:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Your choice.

"Software development" is much too wide a criteria for me to just note "Get 64-bit capable."

Without knowing a bit more, it's premature to write that.

And here's a conundrum. Some of my clients actually will not consider some applications that are demo'd or fire breathing laptops. They don't want to know their armada of Pentium 2 office machines are obsolete....

So far, it's been positive to show it on the now dated p3-600 and show great performance. That way they know that their installed base of machines will not need another round of upgrades.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: The issue here isn't so clear.
by KenSanramon / July 22, 2004 9:14 AM PDT

I realize your points, Bob. My wife has an government issued Compaq Evo that does not appear to be cutting edge although she got it new about the same time I bought my Consumer Compaq X1000.

But the question here was Pentium 4M versus Pentium M and while I extolled the virtues of the Pentium M the Athlon 64 CPU notebook may be an ideal situation for him as it gives him the increased perfomance in the future and he seems to be wavering between the two camps.

Thus, the Athlon falls between in battery performance and gives that upcoming bite for his future needs.

For mosts students and wi-fi users however (not tied to a desk or an extreme gamer) the Pentium M CPU is a great choice right now.

Intel even cited the Pentium M cpu sales success in its recent profit report (better than expected) although the stock dropped as it appears that inventories are rising in the chip market in some cases (and that is probably in the Pentium 4/4M area).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.