Laptops forum

General discussion

Pentium 4 or Pentium M?

by npvenus / July 1, 2004 12:07 AM PDT

I currently own the Compaq Presario R3038CL, which operates on a Pentium 4. I like the notebook, although the battery seems to last only about 1 hour. After reading reviews on other notebooks I'm still confused on which one would be the right fit for me. I am a Real Estate Agent and need a notebook that is fast, can perform multiple tasks at once, without slowing it down, has a long battery life, is wireless, and is on the lighter side. Would a notebook with a Pentium M processor be a better fit? And which ones would be best?

I have seen the HP Pavillion ZT3349cl recently, but I'm not sure if it is a good machine, or if there are other ones that might be better. My price range is up to $1600. I would be very thankful for any suggestions.

Thanks a bunch Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentium 4 or Pentium M?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentium 4 or Pentium M?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Pentium 4 or Pentium M?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2004 12:13 AM PDT

The short answer after a discussion with some Intel rep at an embedded conference is that P4 laptops are for those customers that want a "real P4" or have some "specification" for such a CPU and can't get the newer CPU in the purchase order.

After that, there's very little difference except the battery life and Watts.

Collapse -
by npvenus / July 1, 2004 3:19 AM PDT

Thanks Bob. Do you have any recommendations on which one is the best notebook under $1600? Do you know if the HP Pavillion ZT3349cl is better than the Presario R3038cl?

Thanks again.

Collapse -
by KenSanramon / July 1, 2004 6:35 AM PDT

Hands down, for wi-fi battery life, weight, and overall Notebook performance get the Pentium M chip (which are used in Intel Centrino branded machines.

The Compaq X1000 series and HP ZT3000 series are the same notebook but the HP has a black case style.

See -- this covers both machines as well as a 7000 series HP business notebook.

The weight of the X1000/ZT3000 series is 6.5 pounds.

Make sure you buy a machine with the new Pentium M Dothan chip if possible as it has double the L2 system cache of the older Banias line.

I bought the X1360US retail at Circuit City for 1299.99 after rebates -- check this out on their website -- that is the older Banias 1.4 Pentium M but I got this last month.

I also highly recommend the Toshiba M35 series (Centrino) -- check that out on their website or at retail also. They run a bit more hot around the touchpad but otherwise both are very comparable and Toshiba has a bit higher reliability rating.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?