Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pentagon says Bush service records were destroyed

by Josh K / July 9, 2004 12:55 AM PDT
Pentagon Says Bush Records of Service Were Destroyed

HOUSTON, July 8 - Military records that could help establish President Bush's whereabouts during his disputed service in the Texas Air National Guard more than 30 years ago have been inadvertently destroyed, according to the Pentagon.

It said the payroll records of "numerous service members," including former First Lt. Bush, had been ruined in 1996 and 1997 by the Defense Finance and Accounting Service during a project to salvage deteriorating microfilm. No back-up paper copies could be found, it added in notices dated June 25.

The destroyed records cover three months of a period in 1972 and 1973 when Mr. Bush's claims of service in Alabama are in question.

Hmmmmm. At this time Bush was Governor of Texas and was already on the RNC's "short list" of potential candidates for President in 2000. This would also be around the same time that some police records in Mass and NH "disappeared", school papers were "misplaced" and the explanation of "exuberant youthfulness" was concocted. Coincidence, probably.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentagon says Bush service records were destroyed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentagon says Bush service records were destroyed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Well, I'm glad that's all settled!
by Dan McC / July 9, 2004 1:03 AM PDT

And it's not at all questionable or suspicious, either!

Dan

Collapse -
This situation created a problem
by MarciaB / July 9, 2004 1:23 AM PDT

for many people who were trying to obtain copies of either their own or a relatives records.

When I was in the process of getting information of my brother's military records and medals, etc., I was warned that this could be a problem because of the dates of service. Thank goodness it wasn't a problem in my case - I was able to receive all records and medals in a short period of time.

I can see no difference in the same thing happening - only with a negative outcome - for someone who just happened to end up as President of the USA.

Marcia/Oregon/USA

Collapse -
Re: This situation created a problem
by TONI H / July 9, 2004 1:57 AM PDT

When my oldest daughter joined the Navy in 1992, she tried to find her father's Navy records (my first husband who died at age 29) in order to gather his medals for a display case....he was discharged in early 1971, died in 1977, and his records haven't been located yet either, even though the three girls received a VA benefit until they were 16 so there must have been something at least somewhere at one time, but they might have used the DD-214 that I had a copy of at that time. Not sure if I still have it as I packed up all of memorablia long ago and it might be in that box still.

Now that my son is also Navy, he is attempting to get them found again for his sisters.

TONI

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!