Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pentagon Papers 2 show White House smear machine in action

by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 6, 2004 5:09 AM PDT

Seems some "talking points" intended to help prep Donald Rumsfeld for last weekend's Sunday TV Shows about the Clarke 9/11 Commission matter, including detailed instructions as to how to impugn the motives of each person whose report doesn't gibe with the Bush Administration position, was left at a Starbuck's in Dupont Circle last Saturday and passed on to a liberal think tank As for the Bushies? A suggested answer to one question is "we always tell the truth!"
For more on the story, see Gaffe grande (New York Times login speakeasygang; pw = speakeasy);
for the papers themselves, see The Pentagon's Papers. The papers imply that many of the now-familiar lines about the Bush Administration's pre-9/11 focus on Al Qaeda were, to put it kindly, "embellished." But how can that be -- they "always tell the truth!"

BTW, if the media are so liberal, why have only the Times and the Washington Post mentioned this major insight into the White House propaganda machine at work?
-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentagon Papers 2 show White House smear machine in action
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentagon Papers 2 show White House smear machine in action
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Plus SE's Primary Smear Machine [NT]
by Del McMullen / April 6, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re: Plus SE's Primary Smear Machine -- documented, unlike most WH charges!
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 6, 2004 9:17 AM PDT

Hi, Del.

The papers can be downloaded from the site I gave, so this is hardly an undocumented attack. A "smear" has no basis in fact (or very little relationship to the truth), whereas these "talking points" are there in black and white for all to see.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
I've always heard that it was.......
by Del McMullen / April 6, 2004 7:23 AM PDT

....the stuff in Susie's File Cabinet that would
cause trouble, but I guess Starbuck's can be added
to that list.

Bonehead puts it mildly, IMO. Looks like they need
to apply the Barney Rule: Only one bullet, and kept
in the shirt pocket.

Does anyone know, did Rummy put his cartoonists to
work creating an image with which to repel/defend.

Collapse -
Now that's evidence you can take to the bank (snicker)!
by Kiddpeat / April 6, 2004 7:41 AM PDT

Papers left on a table in Starbuck's and, conveniently, turned over to a leftist group??!! You must be kidding!! Pentagon papers? You haven't even established that they're anything but a hoax! No wonder no one's reporting it. You must be getting desperate Dave. Let me get this right. Rumsfeld leaves papers spread out in a Starbuck's where anyone can see and take them. Then, a leftie by some miracle is the one to find these papers so they can be turned over... Get a grip!

Collapse -
Talking Paper is a common term................
by Del McMullen / April 6, 2004 9:50 AM PDT

.....used in many instances, in and out of government,
to assist in developing briefings, or appearances in
upper level staff meetings, etc. Potential questions
are posed that may arise from a Q & A session, or that
the attendee may ask at a meeting, and key words
developed to assist the ultimate user. It's a common
management tool and only for some propaganda/devious
reason would they be considered a smear program.

If true, it was a very bonehead incident, regardless.

Collapse -
Sure, but it could as equally be a dirty trick.
by Kiddpeat / April 6, 2004 9:58 AM PDT

and it is more likely to be a dirty trick than a boneheaded move. There are too many 'coincidences' to take it seriously. There's also no connection to Rumsfeld unless someone thinks he can drop into a Starbucks, leave his papers, and not be recognized.

Anyone want to buy a bridge cheap?

Collapse -
What hit me...
by J. Vega / April 6, 2004 10:23 AM PDT

What hit me is that a supposed Pentagon aide needed a map. I thought that he lived very close to a certain country's embassy. I also noticed a lack of something on that stationary. Even our memo pads had our logo.

Collapse -
Aw C'mon, Dave had a good smear going [NT]
by Del McMullen / April 6, 2004 1:10 PM PDT
In reply to: What hit me...

Collapse -
Re: Talking Paper is a common term................
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / April 6, 2004 1:30 PM PDT

Hi, Del.

It wasn't the talking paper itself that was part of the smear -- it was what it was advising Rumsfeld to say...

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Which is why it is a
by Bo Boggs / April 6, 2004 10:21 PM PDT

Dirty trick become a hoax.

If it was 'talking point' advice as you assume, why were all the answers one liners? Runsfeld never gives a one line answer to anything.

If it was 'talking point' advice as you assume, why were all the answers right out of the DNC smear book? There was not a relevant answer in the lot.

Bo

Collapse -
If you'd bothered to read the article, you'd know it's not a hoax
by Josh K / April 6, 2004 11:20 PM PDT
Reached at his office, Mr. Ruff declined to comment. But the Pentagon's chief spokesman, Larry Di Rita, said Mr. Ruff had been forgiven.

"It was just one of those bone-headed things," he said.

Why would Mr. Ruff's superiors forgive him if the papers weren't genuine?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.