Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Pentagon on lockdown after shooting.

Breaking news.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,588074,00.html
DEVELOPING: The Pentagon is on lockdown after someone opened fire outside a Metro station.

Three people were injured and taken to George Washington University Hospital's emergency room, officials said. Their condition was not immediately known.

The Metro entrance is yards away from the Pentagon, and it is not clear if the Pentagon's police were involved.

The Blue-Yellow line at the Pentagon station is closed.

No one is being allowed in or out of the Pentagon.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pentagon on lockdown after shooting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pentagon on lockdown after shooting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -

In reply to: Pentagon on lockdown after shooting.

amok...
not a terrorist... they do other ... stuff.. oO

hard times for americans.

Collapse -
Re: arms

In reply to: Pentagon on lockdown after shooting.

Americans have a constitutional rights to CARRY a firearm (even into Starbucks, if they want so).

But it seems they aren't totally free to USE it, so probably the most important role is to show you're a real American man, not a softie loony left. What are the limitations on USING the things you are allowed to CARRY?

Kees

Collapse -
Well, shooting police officers at random is frowned on...

In reply to: Re: arms

I assume it was NOT a serious question.

Apparently the guy was one of those 9/11 "Truthers".

Collapse -
How can you say that?

In reply to: Complete loon

He seems to be simpatico with some members here.

Collapse -
anti-GOVERNMENT loon?

lots of them around

Collapse -
It's odd...

That within a short period his Amazaon profile is available. maybe, there's more to it. You would think that his profile is not public info, though I regret that I don't do much Amazon purchases other than look from time to time. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
It's that darn internet thing.

In reply to: It's odd...

Collapse -
He has a right to have a gun, same as you.

In reply to: Well, shooting police officers at random is frowned on...

he just doesn't see the same enemies as you do.

And he's armed.

Collapse -
Apparently the guy was one of those 9/11 "Truthers".

In reply to: Well, shooting police officers at random is frowned on...

Correct

Bedell was fascinated with conspiracy theories,

ALSO computer programming, libertarian economics and the science of warfare.

What any of this has to do with going out and shooting people, I don't know, Since many people believe/have interests in all of these things and they don't go around shooting people.

He had Mental problems AND a gun...That's all

Collapse -
Why is it so difficult...

In reply to: Re: arms

for some people to make a distinction between carrying a gun and using it to shoot innocent people? Do you drive a car? How often do you drive into a crowd of people, running them down?

Collapse -
Oh yes, because a gun has so many other uses....

In reply to: Why is it so difficult...

....besides shooting at things.

A car is not designed to kill. A gun is.

Collapse -
Not exactly true...

In reply to: Oh yes, because a gun has so many other uses....

And it is irrelevant anyway. ONE of a gun's purposes is self defense. Very often it fulfills that purpose without being fired at all.

It amazes me that people cannot tell the difference between law abiding citizens and criminals.

Collapse -
And a car can fulfill its purpose without being driven

In reply to: Not exactly true...

For example if it's an antique and is taken to car shows to be displayed.

The primary purpose when USING a car is to drive it. The primary purpose when USING a gun is to shoot things.

Collapse -
and the primary purpose of a bat is....

In reply to: And a car can fulfill its purpose without being driven

....to hit things, preferably a baseball. So what? You can kill someone with a baseball bat, both innocent and guilty (deserving). Do you object to homeowners having a baseball bat by their bed? Will they only meat home invaders who also carry baseball bats? Hey, maybe everyone can just use foam noodles, like the bad guys are supposed to?

Collapse -
I disagree

In reply to: And a car can fulfill its purpose without being driven

A gun CAN and often DOES fulfill its purpose without ever being fired.

And again, that is irrelevant. Change it to knife and maybe you'll see what I mean.

Collapse -
In this particular case....

In reply to: I disagree

...it may not have made much difference since the guy was so close to the guards. But in general a gun can be used to kill from a distance where a knife cannot.

Collapse -
so what?

If it can do what it's designed to do, then great. That's why it's carried. One will carry no matter what the law in order to use improperly, another will carry according to law to use when needed and proper. What would the fate of both the guards and the shooter been if only the shooter had been armed? The guards would have been dead and the shooter gone on to shoot others or to escape. Seems to me that swift justice was accomplished. Sure saves us court costs, legal associated defense costs, incarceration costs, and any fools that might have shown up demonstrating in his favor. Over, done with, he's gone, thank God and Guns.

Collapse -
Under what scenario....

In reply to: so what?

....would Pentagon guards not be armed?

If this wacko had not been armed, those two guards would be on duty today instead of recovering from gunshot wounds. Luckily the guy was a lousy shot or they'd both be dead.

Collapse -
well then,

In reply to: Under what scenario....

someone should have told him he wasn't supposed to be armed. I bet that would do the trick.

Collapse -
Or....

In reply to: well then,

....being that he had a documented history of mental illness and a police record, he could have been denied a permit.

Collapse -
If this wacko had not been armed..

In reply to: Under what scenario....

But he WAS. And he could have been armed with a knife or a machete or a club, or any number of other weapons. So what? If someone is determined to commit mayhem, he will do it.

The gun is not the important part. The person is.

Collapse -
But it's a lot easier to commit certain kinds of mayhem....

In reply to: If this wacko had not been armed..

Collapse -
No, but did he purchase it legally?

In reply to: But it's a lot easier to commit certain kinds of mayhem....

Not that anyone can stop someone from getting a gun if he really wants one.

What's your point, make all guns illegal?

Collapse -
I don't know whether he got it legally or not

In reply to: No, but did he purchase it legally?

But if he did, despite documented mental illness and a police record, do you see that as a problem?

Collapse -
Possibly...

In reply to: I don't know whether he got it legally or not

but a far bigger problem is that he drove across the country and started shooting people.I think that's just a wee bit more important.

Collapse -
Our rights aren't abridged by every nut...

In reply to: I don't know whether he got it legally or not

...who may abuse them. It's a specious question or argument.

Collapse -
Josh, you could say...

Josh, you said "A car is not designed to kill. A gun is.". You could say the same thing about a bow and arrow. That old "talking point" is getting stale.

Collapse -
RE: A car is not designed to kill.

In reply to: Josh, you could say...

Collapse -
The "civilian" with a gun grazed his targets,

In reply to: Why is it so difficult...

in other words he missed.

Is that the kind of person with a gun that you want coming to your rescue?

You could end up dead instead of the perp.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.