Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

peer-to-peer networks and servers

by greenprint / January 31, 2012 2:10 PM PST

Hi,

I am very new to the IT industry, and I am wondering if you could create a peer-to-peer network and configure a file server and print server. Do you just go to Manage Your Server on the host computer? And then add the rest of the computers to the local network?

The reason why I am asking is that I thought that servers are used only in a client-server scenario in a domain.

Could you go over the steps in creating a peer-to-peer network with a file and print server?

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: peer-to-peer networks and servers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: peer-to-peer networks and servers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: network
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2012 6:38 PM PST
http://www.google.com/search?q=xp+setup+LAN will give some nice links about setting up a home network. If you have that, you can share files and printers across PC's that are up and running.

Basically, it's telling each PC what resources to share. Then other PC's in the LAN will find them.

Kees
Collapse -
using a server
by greenprint / January 31, 2012 11:52 PM PST
In reply to: Re: network

I guess my real question is can you use "Manage Your Server" or "Configure Your Server Wizard" in setting up a peer-to-peer network. I tried researching all over the internet (like google and Microsoft Technet) and I can't get an answer to this question. I need to configure a print server and I assume I need to use something like "Manage Your Server".

I am trying to configure the host in providing printing and file sharing services.

Collapse -
Why not use the links I provided?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 1, 2012 12:06 AM PST
In reply to: using a server

I've always done it like that.

I've never even seen a "Manage your server" or "Configure your server" wizard in Windows XP. That only exists is Windows Server versions, but that's a different OS.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
By definition a peer to peer ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2012 3:29 AM PST

network has no servers - all computers on the network are peers.

if you want to set up a file and print server you will need to set it up on a machine running a server OS.

You can set up file and printer sharing on a p2p network but that isn't what you asked about.

You could get a (or some) network printers that simply connect to the router or network hub that then have a dedicated IP address on the network and let it manage itself.

You could set up one of the peer computers as the one that all users share files from and configure each machine so it saves files to that computer's drive. Keep in mind here that if all users are going to be updating the same files the application will have to be one that allows such because most applications not designed for dedicated appliction serving will not allow simultaneous use of a file.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!