TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

Peculiar Problem with LG 50' Plasma TV

by sinekv / November 15, 2011 12:33 PM PST

Dear All,

In April 2010 I bought a LG 50' Plasma, which worked quite well till March 2011. Then, one day it simply didn't turn on. After 2-3 days when I tried again, the power came on and it worked perfectly till three days ago.
Same problem. It just sat there doing nothing and then today again I tried, and the power came on.

What is going on? What should I do to prevent this occurrence?

Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Peculiar Problem with LG 50' Plasma TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Peculiar Problem with LG 50' Plasma TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Diagnosis will be tough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 9:29 PM PST

While we do know about the BAD CAPS plague, the symptoms include this one but with folk pumping thousands into such things, why is the warranty only 1 year?

I know of no prevention to the issues today save getting longer warranties.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) What are you talking about???
by sinekv / November 15, 2011 10:58 PM PST
Collapse -
Which topic?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2011 11:01 PM PST

I noted the BAD CAPS PLAGUE and how the symptom matched.

I also commented about warranties and didn't add we should be asking for more.

And diagnosis given no access to the set is rarely possible.

WHICH TOPIC did you need to expand on?
Bob

Collapse -
Okk
by sinekv / November 15, 2011 11:25 PM PST
In reply to: Which topic?

Q1. But if its a bad capacitor, as you r saying, is it possible for the TV to power on, after its shut for more than 72 hours? Cos the LG tech said that the problem is with the power cable getting loose and heating up the unit and unit shutting down to cool off etc.

Q2. If bad caps is the case indeed, then is it worth to try a repair, or should I just just the set?

Oh and one more thing, I'm NOT a techie, so it took me Google to find 'BAD CAPS' which I kept thinking had something to do with me 'shouting' the question in the forum.
Yes, I know.....

Collapse -
A1, A2.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 4:56 AM PST
In reply to: Okk

A1. Yes it is possible. That's why we open it up and do the inspection. If this is beyond our capability then we arrange for the service.

A2. OPINION! I have a 3+ decade background of electronics repair and design. For me this is something I consider worth the effort but this is me and you are not me. If you watch a few Youtube videos where average joe and jane do the replacement you see the skill can be acquired. However some basic electrical knowledge goes a long way such as what is conductive, what is plus and minus, etc. And that knowledge can't be conveyed in 3 paragraphs.

To sum it up, we can't know till we look. And yes, it could be a bum board but such is best left to techs that do this all the time. I know since my selection of which board is not as good as my friend who does this for a living.

Hope this helps,
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Translation of Bob
by Pepe7 / November 15, 2011 11:23 PM PST

He tends to speak in lower elvish. Here's a translation:

Collapse -
Why all caps at times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: Translation of Bob

I rarely shout or shoot. All capital letters is indeed a shout that you may want to research this all capital letter item.

Why BAD CAPS instead of bad capacitors? One is shorter.

And here we have a choice. Get the message out to many or to none. I chose many.
Bob

Collapse -
Put in all in context, amigo
by Pepe7 / November 17, 2011 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: Why all caps at times.

'Spreading the gospel' is all well and good, but give it helps to provide some context to the new reader/posters of this forum (& elsewhere). If you don't phrase your posts in elvish people won't have to go back to google as much ;).

Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 9:30 AM PST

This is a free forum with help given freely. There are a few members that pop in to complain about the help rather than help.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?