System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~1200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T, 4/2/2001
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = ''5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)''
User Name SMARTY\Administrator
Time Zone SA Western Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 384.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 112.98 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 470.64 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I down loaded pdf995 suite. I tried to use the same but it did not respond. After trying for a while It did work but a dialogue box warning came up:-

SECURITY WARNING
''C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 10\Startup\pdf995.dot contains macros by software 995.
This publisher has not been authenticated and therefore could not be imitated. Do not trust these credentials. Macros may contain viruses. It is usually safe to disable macros, but if the macros are ligitimate, you might loose functionality. The security is set to high. Therefore you cannot enable macros from sources you do not trust''.

After seeing this immediately sought to uninstall Software 995 from my system Now the problem remains that the same dialogue bax keeps coming up when I open Microsoft Word thereby removing my tools from showing on the left side of my screen. There are two buttons on the box, one to disable macros and the other to enable macros.

I do not wish to disable macros but rather to use only the ones which comes from Microsoft Office xp Pro., 2000. For all intents and purposes It seems that I have Totally deleated Stofware 995 from my system.

I would like to delete the macros from software 995 If they are still in the system but I can't see them. I would also like to stop seeing this dialogue box every time I open Microsoft Word.

Can you assist in finding a solution to the problem.

Thanking you in adv.

standeb.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pdf995 & Office xp pro 2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pdf995 & Office xp pro 2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Standeb, Try This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 10, 2005 2:10 PM PDT

First, do a search on the computer for the offending file, pdf995.dot. There should at least be one located in the location you have mentioned which is: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 10\Startup\pdf995.dot When it shows up in the search box, then delete all instances of such, by RIGHT clicking on the file, choose "Delete".

Next, do a search for a file named: normal.dot When it's found, (there may be more than one detected), then delete ALL instance of normal.dot.

Now restart the computer and it should work normally.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
pdf995 & Office xp pro
by standeb / October 11, 2005 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Standeb, Try This...

Hi Grif,

Thank you for your thread. However I have searched all over my system. There is nothing pertaining to pdf995 in the system save and except that It appears as a toolbar when I go into view toolbars. I right click on it but nothing happens. The dialogue still comes up when I open Microsoft word.

I search for normal.dot but the searches turn up nothing.

Seems that I really got myself into trouble this time.

Collapse -
Standeb, They Should Be There...Look Again Like This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 11, 2005 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: pdf995 & Office xp pro

Since you're getting a warning about: "''C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 10\Startup\pdf995.dot", then there should be a file there. Likewise, if you're using Microsoft Office, which has "Word", then the "normal.dot" file is also there.

First, make sure that Windows Explorer is showing "All Files" plus all Hidden and System Files, plus the file extensions. Open Windows Explorer, click on "Tools', choose "Folder Options", then click on the "View" tab. When that opens, place a dot/tick in the "Show hidden files and folders, then UNCHECK the boxes that say: "Hide Extensions for Known file types" and "Hide protected operating system files", then click on "apply", then OK.

In order to search for the file names in questions, click on Start-Search, choose "All Files and Folders", then scroll down and choose "More Advanced options". Make sure there is a CHECK mark in both the "Search System Folders" and "Search hidden files and folders". Now scroll back to the top and type the file name in the line that says: "All or part of the file name", then click the Search button.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
pdf995 & Office xp pro 2002
by standeb / October 11, 2005 1:27 PM PDT

Hello Grif.

I carried out your search instructions thrice times but to no avail. The files are just not showing up. The information stated hereunder came up in a dialogue box viz.

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 10\STARTUP refers to a location that is unavailable, it could be on a hard drive on this computer or on a network. Check to make sure that the disk is properly inserted or that you are connected to the internet or your network and then try again. If it still cannot be located the information might have been moved to a different location".

It leaves me to wonder whether those files, when I uninstalled pdf995 from the system went with it. The only remaining part of pdf995 is on my tool bar when I go into view toolbars in Microsoft Word and all attempts to remove the same has failed.

Meanwhile I have not located Normal.dot either.

One other thing is that While pdf995 was in the system I converted or appeared to convert one of my files namely Filing Forms to pdf. That file as well as other text files opens only after I click off the offending dialogue box.

At this stage I feel helpless and idealess.

Standeb.

N.B. Until I see your reply I will try again to locate those files and let you know of further developments.

Collapse -
Standeb, Well Then...Why Not Try...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 11, 2005 1:36 PM PDT

..uninstalling Office, then reinstall it. As long as you've got the reinstallation CD, it shouldn't be a problem..Although uninstalling Office shouldn't cause an issue with your saved Office documents, be sure to back them all up before uninstalling.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
pfd995 & Office xp pro.
by standeb / October 11, 2005 2:15 PM PDT

Hello Grif.

I found Normal. It appeared to be a lone one. I deleted it from the system. However I did not find anything with pdf995. The Dialogue box still comes up.

I read your reply advising me to back up and uninstall Office.

Now that I have found Normal. there are 15 more instances of the same. All from Microsoft except for two which are from Application programs I use. Should I delete them all? Then back up my Microsoft Word files and unstall Office. or just delete all the normal. and re-run office xp pro if the dialogue box fails to show after deleting Normal. ?.

I shall be obligeg to hear from you.

Collapse -
Standeb, Start By Deleting ALL 'normal.dot' Files...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 12, 2005 4:41 AM PDT

..then restart the computer.. (Read what I said again please. Delete ALL the files named "normal.dot"...That's "normal dot dot. There are frequently files named "normal.doc" that should not be removed. Please notice the slight difference between the file extensions..dot vs doc.) As I suggested before, you must change the Explorer settings so you're seeing the file extensions... See if that fixes it. If it does not, then uninstall Office, then reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
pdf995 & Office xp pro.
by standeb / October 15, 2005 3:07 AM PDT

Hi Grif,

After reading your last thread. I was unable to reply and try what you suggested. However about three quarters of an hour ago, I re-visited our threads and went to your first reply. I followed your instructions and by god, it did the trick.

Grif; it is heartening to know that there are people like you providing a service like this. I always respect your views and instructions and read them in other posts as well. You people are true professionals.

I am still a newbie with respect to computers but I am catching on.

Thank you so much for your assistance. God Bless.

standeb.

Collapse -
pdf995 vs Adobe Acrobat
by dml756 / January 4, 2006 11:50 PM PST

Standeb and Grif:
I wonder why you were unistalling pdf995? I need a PDF program and was intrigued by pdf995 which on CNET has mostly good reviews. Certainly the "free" is more appealing than $90 or more for AA v7. Do either of you have an opinion as to the pros and cons of the two softwares.

Thanks in advance

DML756

Collapse -
pdf995 -vs- Adobe Acrobat..
by standeb / January 14, 2006 7:35 AM PST

Hi.

The reason for uninstaling pdf995 was that there were no signatures and Microsoft closed down my macros in office xp as they figured that pdf995 was a tainted program. I checked and indeed there were no signatures. I was not happy with the fact that I did not trust pdf995 and so dicideed to uninstall the same. Uninstalling was so much harder to do than installing for me as a newbie.

I would advise that you use Adobe Acrobat. The money will be well spent and you would not have any problems of the kind from microsoft.

I propose to use Adobe Acrobat.

Standeb.

Collapse -
CML756 Just a thought - PDF995 -vs- Adobe Acrobat
by standeb / January 15, 2006 6:50 AM PST

You may want to read the lead thread in which you will see the reason for uninstallation of PDF995.

Hope this helps

standeb

Collapse -
Deleting normal.dot
by jim3689 / January 15, 2012 10:43 PM PST
In reply to: Standeb, Try This...

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">The file I find is "normal.dotm" Is it correct to delete this file?

Collapse -
You are posting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 16, 2012 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: Deleting normal.dot

to a discussion that is now getting on for 6 years old.

You may want to create your own discussion and provide full details of the problem.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.