Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PDF won't load + Flash player 9 won't downoad?

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Dell 2400.
Internet Explorer version:
6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gbr.050301-1519

Also running are;
Norton SystemWorks 2006,
Zone Alarm Pro 6.5.722,
Ad Aware SE,
SpyWare Blaster,
SpyBot Search and Destroy

I have the security setting set to ''prompt'' for active x control. When I attempt to download the player, I get the warning pop-up, see the gold bar, say ''yes'' to downloading active x control.

The pop-up window comes up asking me if I want to download Flash Player 9 and I click on "install". The window disappears, nothing downloads, no error message.

Also, what is strange is that now I can't view any PDF files on the internet. I can open the program (Adobe Reader 7.08) itself, but whenever I try to access a file on the web, the browser window disappears, again without an error message. I used to be able to view PDF's fine before I tried to install Flash Player 9.

I included the list of my "security" programs because perhaps there is some arcane setting that is accidentally implemented that is prohibiting the programs from downloading/working?

Or could it be a problem with the IE browser plug-ins? I have already tried to "detect and repair" in the help section of Adobe Reader. I uninstalled, then re-installed version 7.08 rebooted multiple times and it still doesn't work.

Help!

TIA

Susan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDF won't load + Flash player 9 won't downoad?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDF won't load + Flash player 9 won't downoad?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Flash player 9 won't downoad?

In reply to: PDF won't load + Flash player 9 won't downoad?

Susan, For the Flash Player 9 problem go to the link below and download the standalone Flash Player 9.0.16.0 (IE) ActiveX installer for Internet Explorer. Just click on the "Download
Latest Version
1.08MB" on the right side of the page and save it to somewhere you can find it then double click it to start the installation.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_flashplayer_ie/

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Re: PDF won't load

In reply to: PDF won't load + Flash player 9 won't downoad?

Collapse -
Give This Ago!!

In reply to: Re: PDF won't load

Give yourself fresh Macromedia Player program installation [To Eliminating the Bugs??]

1]
Have a look within = Control Panel = Add & Remove = and see if you have both programs listed of Macromedia Flash Player and Macromedia Shock Wave Player and uninstall same! [Could show as Adobe?? = They may not show in Add and Remove?? = If not there use the Macromedia Uninstallers??]

2]
Next Go to URL [May have to copy and paste into Internet Address Field]

www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/

3]
There you will see the ''Uninstallers'' for Flash and Shock! Do repeat the Macromedia Uninstallers for Macromedia Flash Player and Shock WavePlayer ''Uninstall Programs'' Then after using the Add/Remove Uninstall please use the above uninstallers a couple of times to make sure it has uninstalled their programming!

4]
Then install both the latest Macromedia players as available from within the above web page.

-------------------

This may be worth the try to see if overcomes your problems
Hope may help!

Collapse -
Thanks! to colindarby and cursorcowboy

In reply to: Give This Ago!!

At first, when I tried to uninstall Flash via the control panel, I clicked on uninstall and the dialogue box just disapeared, but the program was still there. Tried multiple times, to no avail. Perhaps something got corrupted in the registry?

The uninstaller did the trick! Then I reinstalled and it's working fine.

Was still having problems with the PDF after multiple uninstalls and reinstalls. I searched back in the archives under ''can't view PDF's'' and found the solution that worked (even though it's counter-intuitive?) from cursorcowboy.

Here it is:

? To configure the browser to use Acrobat or Adobe Reader to open PDF files:

a. Quit Internet Explorer or AOL.

b. Start Acrobat or Adobe Reader.

c. Choose Edit, Preferences and select Internet in the list on the left.

d. Deselect Display PDF in Browser, and click OK.

Posted by: Cursorcowboy (see profile) - 09/05/2005 4:35 AM

Thanks!

Susan

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.