Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

PDF Creation Now Fails

I have a new PDF creation problem in Win98SE. Because my older word processing programs (WPerfect8 and MSWord 2002) don't directly support PDF file creation, I've been using a workaround for several years. I loaded a postscript printer driver and, after selecting that printer, I select "print to file" for any word processor document I want in PDF.

After manually changing that print file's extension from .PRN to .PS, I used to double-click the file and Adobe PDF Distiller would quickly open and create a perfect PDF file.

That was the way things worked until I loaded AutoCAD 2000 on my computer a few months ago. Now, whenever I try to double-click the PS file I've created, an error message appears saying the ". . . file is too large for Notepad to open" and asking me if I want to use WordPad instead. Using that just opens a text file.

Also, double-clicking the original printer file (PRN)I created opens Adobe Distiller, but Distiller shows error messages and will not create a PDF file.

I assume the problem is connected to my installing AutoCAD because whenever I change the print file (PRN) to Postscript (PS) the "Type" of file immediately changes to "AutoCAD Postscript Support" (as visible in Win Explorer).

Is there any thing I can do - short of removing AutoCAD - to return my PDF creation workaround to its previous functional state? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDF Creation Now Fails
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDF Creation Now Fails
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you use word processing programs.

In reply to: PDF Creation Now Fails

I would never work that hard to make a PDF. Open Office has native PDF support and is free from http://www.openoffice.org

In my opinion, you are working too hard.

Bob

Collapse -
Still Need a Fix . . .

In reply to: Since you use word processing programs.

. . . because, at 50 MB, I can't readily download Open Office (OO). Phone lines here are from copper wire and the ISPs are steam powered (grin).

Also, I'd just like to figure out what went wrong with my computer's PDF-making ability.

Collapse -
Best of luck.

In reply to: Still Need a Fix . . .

The one thing you learn about Windows is that all things are not repairable unless you have plenty of time or get lucky to find someone that just knows (or a website.)

In this case, you can wipe the machine and reinstall it to the way you like it faster than a download of Open Office on a phone line. Open Office is on CD and I hand it to dialup users all the time. What is the cost of a CDR blank today? Too cheap.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
Luck's not the problem

In reply to: Best of luck.

Bob, Your suggestion about OpenOffice was a good one. And I remember that a previous suggestion of yours - to switch to FireFox - was (at the time) reluctantly followed and now I can't imagine using any other browser.

Yet I figured my mention of the copper phone lines and steam-powered dial up service would give you the clue. I don't live between the "Left & Right Coasts". I'm working overseas in a developing country. A 50 MB download might take 6-12 hours *if* the ISP connection doesn't continually fail.

And getting a (free) CD copy here isn't as easy as ordering one and having it sent via regular mail. Even free materials can be assesssed hundreds of dollars worth of customs tax just because the customs boys are looking for some extra income that day.

I might get lucky and find someone with a CD version I can copy. Then again, it might take weeks or months. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to figure out what happened to my PDF workaround.

Thanks for the advice. Let's see what happens.

Collapse -
WAG.

In reply to: PDF Creation Now Fails

After manually changing that print file's extension from .PRN to .PS, I used to double-click the file and Adobe PDF Distiller would quickly open and create a perfect PDF file.

Should still if the file association has not been changed to something else.

That was the way things worked until I loaded AutoCAD 2000 on my computer a few months ago. Now, whenever I try to double-click the PS file I've created, an error message appears saying the ". . . file is too large for Notepad to open" and asking me if I want to use WordPad instead.

I would assume from your statement here that the file extension .PS is not associated as it was (Adobe Distiller) but is now associated with Notepad.

Note: Have you clicked a file with the extension .PS, held the shift key while right-mouse clicking and then selecting from the popup applet Open with . .? Either find and select Adobe Distiller from the list if there or else use the Browse button to select the executable file from the folder were the program is located.

Also, double-clicking the original printer file (PRN)I created opens Adobe Distiller, but Distiller shows error messages and will not create a PDF file.

I would assume from your statement here that the file extension .PRN is associated with Adobe Distiller but that it isn't a proper files for the program.
Collapse -
Let me check your leads . . .

In reply to: WAG.

Thanks, CC. I'll copy and follow up on your suggestions. If I have any luck, I'll report back here.

Collapse -
What was it Hannibal always used to say? . . .

In reply to: WAG.

"I love it when a plan comes together <grin>". I tried the Shift/Right-click manuever and selected Adobe Distiller. It worked. Thanks for the WAG (Wonderfully Accurate Gospel?) -- right on the money!

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great. Glad to hear it worked. Thanks.

In reply to: What was it Hannibal always used to say? . . .

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!