Phones forum

General discussion

PDA, which one? Windows or Palm

by johnydep / February 27, 2007 1:51 PM PST

Hi to all.

Need your help, I've searched the net for ten hours or more (lol) & found nothing to point me to a particular PDA.

I'm a coach & need a good, tough basic PDA.

I take notes of players while coaching & I'm tired of writing it all down on paper & losing it.

The PDA needs to have good handwriting recognition software, it needs to be realtively tough to handle bouncing around in my pocket while I run & it needs to be small.
Voice recorder is handy but not neccessary, calander & PC synchronisation of course.

I was originally set on a Palm, they've got plenty of great reviews , especially on the OS, but I've since been told that the screens easily crack.

Recieve some good advice from here; http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=20&t=1146

Help pleasssssse lol.

I'd like to buy one ASAP

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDA, which one? Windows or Palm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDA, which one? Windows or Palm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More detail
by johnydep / February 27, 2007 1:58 PM PST

I'd like to add that I want to have a seperate file for each player, easily accessible so that I can quickly access their file & write down quick notes.
The PDA will be used for all my coaching courses & some personal stuff.

Having player details will probably mean a decent security level.

Cheers.

Collapse -
Find the app, then which it runs on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 8:09 PM PST
In reply to: More detail

There are no big moves in the PDA market in the last year. The 2 units I wrote most were the Axim and the TX. Both have wifi and web browsers with ample software selections. Both support 2GB memory cards which is plenty of handheld data.

Now you just need to find your database software.

Many are moving to Treo or other smart phones to not have to carry multiple devices.

Bob

Collapse -
Data base software
by johnydep / February 27, 2007 10:09 PM PST

Thanks for the info.

I did a quick search and found;
http://www.handmark.com/products/detail.php?id=74 compatible with a large range of pocket pc's
http://www.ddhsoftware.com/ sounds very good
http://www.mobiledb.com/ has a list of different databases

I'm starting to think that there is no PDA capable of doing what I want. The more I ask the more feedback I get saying that a paper & pen is my best friend, sad really I though the technology was here.

I'll keep looking but it doesn't look good, might just by a cheap PDA to play with & see if I can configure it to my needs.

Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Odd. Here's why.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2007 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: Data base software

I am an author of a few PalmOS softwares so maybe I see this differently. If there is no application that does what I want off the shelf I have the option to write it myself. Palm gives the development tools for free so the entry cost to programming can be nonexistent.

It is true you won't find Palm or PocketPC titles at Best Buy that will fit your needs but there are so many titles out there that I can't claim I know them all.

178 items tagged at http://www.freeware-palm.com/tag-sports.html so there must be something out there.

Bob

Collapse -
there are so many titles out there
by johnydep / February 28, 2007 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: Odd. Here's why.

Thanks Bob, you're right, finding something to suit my needs at Best Buy is not going to happen, but trying to get it anywhere else is not easy either.
I spoke to hp directly, told the tech my needs & got a recommendation similar to best buys.
It seems that most purchasers of PDA's are business users & my needs are not 'off the shelf'.

Collapse -
RECOMMENDATION
by capitolhill / February 28, 2007 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: More detail

I recommend a Palm T/X or Tungsten E2. I have the T/X, my wife has the E2, and have had no problems with them I use it as a note taker, mp3, watch full length movies, type papers (w/ the portable keyboard), powerpoint, check email, browse web, store pictures, balance my check book/bank accounts, and of course use the calendar alarm to remind me of birthdays and anniversaries (I would be in trouble w/o it), as well as other important dates/appointments. My use of my Palm is endless. If you have any questions, just let me know.

Collapse -
any questions
by johnydep / February 28, 2007 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: RECOMMENDATION

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Palm TX / E2 or the hp iPAQ. I've been told by quite a few people that grafiti is excellent.

How is your palms writing recognition? Do you use it a lot?

Collapse -
I use it, but I fear...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 28, 2007 12:42 PM PST
In reply to: any questions

Most will not call it speedy input. Please get a demo first to avoid an unpleasant surprise.

Bob

Collapse -
Graffiti
by capitolhill / February 28, 2007 10:56 PM PST

I use the graffiti quite often. It does the job for me. As recommended earlier, try a demo and see if it suits you. I think you will be happy w/ it.

Collapse -
I also own an E2...
by whizkid454 / March 1, 2007 5:30 AM PST

I have been very happy with it overall. A few minor "issues" but nothing worth yelling about. I use Graffiti quite often and find it very intuitive and accurate. I'm not sure if my handwriting is just that good( Happy ) or I'm lucky. The E2 is slower (in terms of the processor) than the TX but still has pretty speedy entry for me. I can write a word like "compute" in about 3-4 seconds. I would assume it would me quicker on the TX since it has a faster processor, but I'm not completely sure on that.
As stated twice above, I would also recommend you going to a local tech store and trying out the Graffiti software for yourself. Good luck! Happy

Collapse -
Don't know if a PDA is right
by nelsonj3 / March 23, 2007 5:45 AM PDT

I own a TX and love it. It has made my life much easier, but I don't try to use it when I am moving. No PDA is easy to use in motion like on the sidelines of a court. While the TX is overall my suggestion, you may want to think about writing notes on paper then typing them into whichever solution you find best. PDA's are the best way to carry lots of information, but a still more cumbersome for inputing info than paper. I personally find that notes are easier to take on paper in my classes than even using a laptop. Graffiti is great, but no handwriting recognition software is a accurate as paper and the human eye, especially when writing fast.
Then again, maybe I misunderstood what you intend to do.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?