Phones forum

General discussion

pda's and wireless

by tj21 / November 9, 2003 9:18 AM PST

I have 2 pda'a that I want to get connected wireless. One is a Toshiba E350 and the other is an Ipaq 3955. I have an expansion pack for the Ipaq. I have not seen in either the Toshiba or Ipaq websites any help or suggestions as to part numbers or manufacturers of wireless cards for the pda. Does anyone know what can be used for these models ? Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: pda's and wireless
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: pda's and wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
E350 D.O.A. AFAIK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2003 9:35 AM PST
In reply to: pda's and wireless
Collapse -
Re:E350 D.O.A. AFAIK.
by tj21 / November 9, 2003 10:11 AM PST
In reply to: E350 D.O.A. AFAIK.

gee Bob, you are always full of good news- at this point I am hoping I have the model number wrong !

Collapse -
The PXA250 issue with SDIO.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2003 9:53 PM PST
In reply to: Re:E350 D.O.A. AFAIK.

Something's amiss with SDIO and the PXA250 chip. For instance, the iPAQ doesn't use the PXA250 MMC controller. It has a true SDIO controller built in so you don't hear big noise about this issue.

It's a shame you have to read about SDIO wide and narrow interfaces like you'll find at http://www.google.com/search?num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=pxa250+sdio+&btnG=Google+Search which, brings to light the status of some Pocket PC machines.

In short, because of the SDIO debacle, my advice is to avoid ANY and ALL PXA250 based PDA. You could do research on whether they added in a SDIO controller, but its easier just to avoid this CPU.

And while you may think I'm the one bearing the bad news, who else will be telling you? I've cornered the PDA vendors on this issue many times at trade shows and the people there are just there to shovel their glitz.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:The PXA250 issue with SDIO.
by tj21 / November 9, 2003 10:29 PM PST

I guess that explains why I haven't gotten any help from Toshiba. And of course, this is the pda that already has wireless in the house. I guess that I am going to have to make some phone calls...

Collapse -
Re:The PXA250 issue with SDIO.
by tj21 / November 9, 2003 11:23 PM PST

well- would it make a difference if it was a Toshiba E310 ? Through some digging, I discovered that I had the wrong model number..

Collapse -
E310 D.O.A. AFAIK as well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 9, 2003 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: pda's and wireless

"It did not work on the Toshiba e310."
http://www.pdabuyersguide.com/tips/sandisk_SD_wifi.htm

The issue is likely the underlying CPU (PXA250?) since the narrow SD interface is what I understand the reference BlueTooth design uses. With higher datarates from WiFi, I bet the reference design and drivers are all based on the full SDIO interface.

I'd ask for a refund.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:E310 D.O.A. AFAIK as well.
by tj21 / November 10, 2003 4:11 AM PST

thanks, Bob. I will check into this a little more. Device is my daughters and she has all the documents with her. Have also had for over 3 months, and that could be an issue..

Collapse -
Make it a warranty issue then.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 10, 2003 5:40 AM PST

Defects are... defects. I've returned items after three months so I'm pretty pushy on that.

Let me share that you must never get mad, shout or be threatening.

Next, you can share "what would make me happy" with who you are talking to. In one instance I wrote "I'd take the model that works and pay you the difference."

They took my offer and I paid very little for the change. Refund was for the year ago price, the new price was today's price.

May your story end so nicely!

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Make it a warranty issue then.
by tj21 / November 10, 2003 9:02 PM PST

thanks, Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

CNET ON CARS

Want to see the future of car technology?

Brian Cooley found it for you at CES 2017 in Las Vegas and the North American International Auto Show in Detroit.