Phones forum

General discussion

PDA Recommadations

Hello, Im looking for a PDA to buy, i want a good one and i have a buget of about

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDA Recommadations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDA Recommadations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The top 2 are the x51v and the TX.

In reply to: PDA Recommadations

What I find most flame about PDAs is they discover it's not a PC in your pocket. The second area is that some have extreme difficulty with the USB connections.

Beyond that you have picked the best of the litter.

Bob

Collapse -
About the TX

In reply to: The top 2 are the x51v and the TX.

I know very little about Palm PDA's
Would you be able to answer a few questions for me please:
Which do you consider to be the better OS? (Windows Mobile/Palm OS)
Which is the better PDA in your view?
Which think has the least errors and will be the best product?
------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a lsit of things i will use the PDA for:
Music Games
Videos Other Programs
WiFi Maybe GPS
Word Excel
------------------------------------------------------------------
Many thanks to all who Reply & thanks to Bob for previous Post!
Peter T

Collapse -
Both OSes are pitiful.

In reply to: About the TX

Sorry, it's time for a total rewrite. I'm not impressed with either and I'm authoring Palm applications. Both have roots going back 10 years and more. So the OS stinks but I still use both with equal ease.

"Which think has the least errors and will be the best product?"

OK, point me to an error so I can comment. Remember I own the TX and have a pair of PocketPC units too.

Bob

Collapse -
Errors on the Axim X51

In reply to: Both OSes are pitiful.

I don't know about the Tx, but its not what i wanted,
Errors on The Axim X51V:
Looking at the Cnet user reviews: very mixed
some love it with no errors but some have found afew and have given it 1/10 -----------------------
Things have been said like:
Sync doesn't work
Lots of Soft Resets and Hard Resets
Switch on Defects
Os Flaky
Crashs 3 times a day
Poor Tech Support
---------------------------------
So do u think these are jsut one offs?
Also where should i buy it from
Negoiate with Dell.co.uk
Ebay - Not sure about insurace it's a USA sellar!
Dell.com

Many thanks again, Bob
Peter Timson

Collapse -
"Sync doesn't work"

In reply to: Errors on the Axim X51

Bingo. Remember I noted that many have difficulty with USB connections? Sync is hard on owners since fixing USB is not Dell's job. If your machine needs drivers or "other" why would Dell have to fix that?

The Dell axims at the office don't have these issues. Go figure. Not that other people don't ...

About poor tech support. They will write that since Dell isn't on the hook to fix your USB issues. Same if your OS or Office apps are busted.

Think hard here. You're right in the thick of what's wrong with the PC industry.

Bob

Collapse -
Buying

In reply to: "Sync doesn't work"

i think i will get one as you seem cofindent in them,
but where do you think i should purchase this product from?
or shall i ask in a diffrenet formum???
thanks again, Bob
PeterT

Collapse -
Battery life of axim x51v

In reply to: "Sync doesn't work"

How long do you think the battery will last witha normal 1100 battery. On the tests on Cnet it said a little over 4 hours with backlight set to full .... but it said this was a bad battery life ..... how is this???

Collapse -
That's about right. It's not a PC so running for that long

In reply to: Battery life of axim x51v

With the backlight would be a very strange thing to do. Have you ever owned a PDA? Some do "real upset" after they get it and discover it's not like a PC.

I keep mine in the chargers when not in use.

Bob

Collapse -
my takes

>Which do you consider to be the better OS? (Windows Mobile/Palm OS)

I've been using pOS for 4 years now. WM/PPC (pocket PC) when playing with friend's or store models, so I will say I like pOS better. pOS tends to be easier to pick up and use. Alot of freeware and shareware. PPC has been getting more titles of free/share categories than ever, tho i still think it's lesser. PPC has multitasking (IIRC, mostly an issue for networking stuff, else not really needed) and higher speced hardware. Good for emulating better console games and running more advanced games. Else, some ppl find the familiar win menu interfaced shoehorned into a 230x240 or 640x480 screen to be too clumsy to use

In the end, both are about equal marketshare, but it's similar to the Mac vs Win argument. Just b/c most ppl use PC, doesn't mean it's the right one for everyone

>Which is the better PDA in your view?

see above

>Which think has the least errors and will be the best product?

I think pOS, but again, i haven't used PPC as much. 3rd party apps tend to create errors and instabilities.

Collapse -
also....

This is a lsit of things i will use the PDA for:
>Music

I'm guessing u meant the 1st 2 as seperate? Never heard of "music games"
All PDAs can do this except for lowend pOS PDAs like the Zire, Zire 21/22/31.

>Games

All PDAs can do this. PPCs in the high end tend to have better graphics and better abilities in emus. Also in general, Color, higher resolution screens make for better gaming experience. More numbers of and better tactile buttons also help with games that don't use touchscreen or it primarily. I'm not sure how compatibility is on the WM side, but there are few games that work on the older os3 and not os5, tho that shouldn't be a significant issue. Some problems are more likely with Palm os5's NVFS handhelds as opposed to the older handhelds using real RAM

>Videos Other Programs

Palm has some freeware 3rd party called TCPMP which does video well. PPC has a similar app. For both, may wanna use freeware VirtualDub for PC to trim down files optimal for PDAs.

>WiFi Maybe GPS

higher end pOS PDAs have wifi built in. Selection could be better, but it's there. Else, a wifi card is necessary. Costs about $100+ extra. Also need to make sure drivers are avail for that pOS PDA. Some don't like this b/c the only exp card slot is occupied while doing so. Almsot all but one Palm PDA do not have user replaceable batteries. Since wifi is one of the top features that eat up batt quicker, this can be an issue if u travel alot away from power sources. Getting a 3rd party, portable power source charger should alleviate that. If you have access to power at least x2 a day (e.g. when u go to work and when u get home from it), no extra portable power charger shuld be necessary even with MP3 AND wifi use (tho it may run low at the end of the day)

Many many PPCs have wifi which is one of that platform's strong suit. User replaceable batt on many if not all of their modern models provides good sense of energy usage security, altho they can be expensive.

Minority of PDAs have integrated GPS. AFAIK, pOS has meager selection of these, but PPC has only slightly better selection. Other GPS options includes an add-on accessory via SDIO card slot, CF card slot, or the connectors they have on their bottoms which aren't uber expensive, but won't be cheap either. Whether or not these GPS add-ons is up to what reviews have to say. You may wanna increase your selection of PDAs and better GPS models by getting a nonGPS PDA and seperate GPS unit, unless u really need it integrated with the PDA

> Word Excel

Both do this. Palm model's come with Documents to Go. 3rd party shareware options are available should u not like what's included. for PPC, if Word/Excel Mobile are included, then it's the newer version of the Office suite which should retain formatting, tables, and graphs as opposed to stripping them away during syncing. The older versino of the suite goes by Pocket Word/Excel

Collapse -
Might I suggest the TX......

In reply to: PDA Recommadations

Here are some reasons...
1. Even though the OS is not perfect, it is arguably the easier OS of the two to use. Very simple, but able to perform big tasks.
2. More software and freeware are available right now for the Palm OS... I know someone will argue about this, but I do agree that Windows is catching up in the software for Windows Mobile devices.
3. Cheaper, for the most part.... And you get an excellent set of features along with a good value...
4. Battery Life- I have heard good and bad about battery life... It all comes down to this... If you keep your device off the charger for awhile there will be a better chance of your battery running out. I have a Tungsten E2 and am fascinated with its battery life. The battery NEVER goes below 70%, but that is because I keep it in the charger for most of the day... So if you are a very busy and mobile person who continually uses it nonstop for things such as music, videos, and other things, you definitely won't get the >70% battery I get which might lean you to keep it charged more often.
All in all, the TX is my choice for these reasons. Good luck!

Collapse -
Thanks to all who have posted

In reply to: Might I suggest the TX......

Thanks to all with your help i have pruchaed the Dell Axim X51V!
Peter Timson

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!