Phones forum

General discussion

PDA charger universally adaptable?

by LeoAlpha / June 14, 2004 6:31 AM PDT

My palm charges very nicely on USA 170 voltage. Now I'm flying to someplace where the voltage is 220. If I use my current charger will it fry, or does it automatically adjust?
Do I need a separate 220 compatible cradle, or will I need a USB to charge it on my laptop, and in htat case, is my laptops charger 220 compatible or universally adaptable, or whatever the terms are?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PDA charger universally adaptable?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PDA charger universally adaptable?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) LOOK at your PDA charger. Read the markings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2004 8:03 AM PDT

Collapse -
I did. This is what it said.
by LeoAlpha / June 14, 2004 8:13 AM PDT

There's only the palm logo on the back. NOthing on the bototm or sides. A little tag on the cord says

use only the AC adaptor suplied by palm to plug into this connecotr. Use of another vendors...

and in the top corner:
#163-1149 (intl)
#180-0711 (USA)

on the back of the plug itself it says:
input: 120V~ 0.15A, 60Hz
DC output: 5.0v--1.0 A

now what does thatgibberish mean?

Collapse -
Re: gibberish
by ChuckT / June 14, 2004 10:10 AM PDT

Not really "gibberish" if you know what it is means. Happy (I see, said the blind man.)

Those top corner numbers are simply part numbers. They are not meaningful for what you want to know.

The info on the back is what is important to you (of course, you said it is on the plug, and I find that curious).

The input numbers "120V~ 0.15A, 60Hz"

mean it requires an input supply of 120 VAC (Alternating Current, actually US voltage can be anywhere between 110 to 122 VAC, and it is typically stated as being 120 VAC) but don't worry about that, as long as you are somewhat near that.

The supply will require 0.15 amps of current. That really isn't much, it comes out at about 18 watts, or a lot less than what most incandescent light bulbs you might have, lighting a small area.

The 60Hz is the frequency of the AC input current, or 60 cycles per second.
60Hz is the standard frequency of the United States.

In Europe the standard, in many places, is just 50Hz, and because your label does not state that (which usually say "50-60Hz") then this is not good for European travel.
You can get cheap travel converters for when you travel, and they have adapters for the many different European types of plugs (in the US we have one type) and the adapters can also adjust your supply voltage between 100 and 220 Volts - with 220 being pretty common, but not a standard, in Europe.
BUT! the Hz (Hertz, cycles per second, or cps) is not the thing that can easily, or cheaply, be changed. If the plug does not specifically say the 50Hz range, I WOULD NOT chance it.
(Yes there are adapters that will convert 60 to 50 Hz, but they get expensive - $100 to $250, and bulky to carry. Just not worth it for a PDA.)

If you plug a 60Hz device, like a power supply, into 50Hz (considering you do adapt for the proper voltage) while it might initially work, what will happen, in time, is that the transformers inside will heat up and possibly create smoke and/or fire.

-----------
The "DC output: 5.0v--1.0 A" means
that the voltage/current output is capable of supplying direct current (like a battery is direct current) of 5 volts and a maximum current of 1 Amp.
That is just 5 watts, and fairly typical.
If this is the power supply that came with the PDA then don't worry about the output supply at all. It is designed to power your PDA as long as you observe the correct input voltages (and current and frequency) which is important.

Last point:
In a previous message you said "My palm charges very nicely on USA 170 voltage"
I am sure that is a typo, right? 170 volts is not nice USA anything. I believe you meant 120 volts, right?

Collapse -
Re: gibberish
by LeoAlpha / July 5, 2004 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: gibberish

this girl is WOWWED!
That was a pretty impressive dissertation.
Now for the great news:
My replacement cradle arrived, and it supports 220 and 50. It also has the plug adaptors for about 5 places I will probably never visit.

THANKS!

Collapse -
adapter
by riotimus / January 25, 2008 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Re: gibberish

do you kown the correct polarity of the round connector for the adapter ?

Is inner negative or positive ?

Collapse -
For my PalmOne PDA...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2008 2:11 AM PST
In reply to: adapter

Models m130, T2 and Zire 71 the center is PLUS, the outside is NEGATIVE.
Just checked the Zire 72 and same as above.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!