Desktops forum

General discussion

PCs running Mac OS?

by Rob10 / November 22, 2005 11:07 PM PST

I don't know anything about Macs, just that their OS is supposidly a better, easier to use, and more secure one (albiet less widely compatible with other software). But, their cool, stylish computers are a bit more expensive and less modifiable than Windows-based PCs.
I heard that the new Mac/Intel machines may be able to run full the Windows OS (not virtual PC). Is it also possible that eventually PCs may be able to run the Mac OS designed to run on their Mac/Intel machines?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCs running Mac OS?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCs running Mac OS?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When Apple decides to do so.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 22, 2005 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: PCs running Mac OS?

There are illegal ports, but you and I can't use or discuss that.

I wonder about your cost issue. The Mac mini is on par with many low cost PCs. Can you share why you feel their product is more expensive?

Bob

Collapse -
Buid my own, possibly
by Rob10 / November 23, 2005 12:29 AM PST

I intend on either building my own, or buying a pre-built higher power system for photo/video editing (and perhaps a game or two down the line) and understand the higher end Macs (G5) are more expensive than similar powered PC (I know, you can't compare on sheer processor Ghz spec numbers to determine speed) and am not sure about hardware upgradeability. Gaming I also understand, is not Mac's forte` either. Besides, I am going to be using a PC at work and need easy compatibility with it.

Collapse -
The world changes very soon.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 12:48 AM PST
In reply to: Buid my own, possibly

The Mac Intel machines may appear in the first months of 2006. So keep that in mind.

Building your own PC is not an option for many since they can't support such a machine. Every day we read posts in these forums for help installing an OS. It seems the current offerings by Microsoft don't install without a lot of help.

Given the decades Microsoft has been at this, why hasn't this been fixed?

bob

Collapse -
"Given the decades Microsoft has been at this...
by Rob10 / November 23, 2005 1:12 AM PST

..., why hasn't this been fixed?"

I'm guessing it keeps the Help associated people at Microsoft and other companies employed, arrogance, laziness, the list goes on.

"Building your own PC is not an option for many since they can't support such a machine. Every day we read posts in these forums for help installing an OS. It seems the current offerings by Microsoft don't install without a lot of help."

Which is wy I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I want to BMO. I think I could handle the assembly and initial OS installation, but the things that crop up from time to time would be tougher for me to handle. I've never taken so much as an online course, I've learned everything I know from this and other forums. But I know I've barely scratched the surface in what's needed in the way of tech. knowledge!

Collapse -
"Given the decades Microsoft has been at this...
by jcrobso / November 23, 2005 5:00 AM PST

Acording to Steve B, M$ is better because it is written by professionals. And the other OS(linux) is writen by amatures.
So the arrogance comes from the highest athourity at M$. John

Collapse -
roumers
by jcrobso / November 23, 2005 12:00 AM PST

The rumors are running wild,,, Mac OS for every PC,,Billy G can't sleep!!! Oh well wishfull thinking. John

http://www.macrumors.com/

Collapse -
I used to use macs
by gauthier484 / November 23, 2005 3:50 AM PST

and I got a pc primarily for the varieties of material avialable. My personal opinion is that the Mac OS is far superior and would be a great thing for the PC to have a competing operating system, I would switch the day it was made available.

Collapse -
Choice would be nice
by Rob10 / November 23, 2005 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: I used to use macs

It really is a shame that we can't just go out and buy whatever hardware, whether it's the cool and stylish (and expensive) Mac G5, kick butt PC, or any type of box we want, and pick the OS that fits our needs. I know there's all kinds of licencing, proprietary territorial pissing crap going on, as well as having to match up all the other programs, but maybe with a new MacIntel the door will open a crack. I've never had a chance to use a Mac and would like the opportunity to try it without having to spend the $$ for a whole new computer. And I'm not enough of a techie guy to try Linux.

Collapse -
You made the case for the Mac.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 11:03 PM PST
In reply to: Choice would be nice

The wide range of hardware for the PC is both its blessing and curse. What would happen to (Intel) MacOS would not be pretty if such choice was allowed.

As proof, count all the posts about video drivers in these forums.

Cheers,

bob

Collapse -
Re
by Rob10 / November 23, 2005 11:19 PM PST

I agree, you still have the issue of making sure you have Mac version of drivers and purchase programs in that version. I still have to do that to some extent when I upgrade from Windows ME to XP. I know there is a lot of backwards compatibility going on there, but I bet there wont't when Windows goes 64 bit. Ideally, couldn't you do a dual boot system with all appropriate drivers, and try each OS?

Collapse -
Windows already went 64-bit.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 23, 2005 11:38 PM PST
In reply to: Re

XP64 is already here. It's highly compatible (runs Microsoft Office and more that I will list) but drivers and lowlevel items must be XP64 compliant.

The issue for some is they want the "plug it in and it works" type OS and Microsoft doesn't supply that. Partly because of all the hardware choices.

I think you see the problem.

Bob

Collapse -
Hardward and OS
by Rob10 / November 23, 2005 11:46 PM PST

I'm thinking of the idealistic notion that one computer having the potential to run whatever OS the user wants. I know PCs can run any version of Windows they want or Linux, provided that drivers and other applications are available. Macs can run Virtual PC if they need Windows, but there is no option for a PC to run a Mac OS.

Collapse -
"there is no option for a PC to run a Mac OS."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2005 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: Hardward and OS

I can't discuss that non truth here. But I think you get the general idea that there are 2 distinct mind paths here.

The group that demands it will work.

The group that want to build it themselves, will accept they have to find the nuts and bolts to tie it together and hold the OS provider blameless when it fails.

Bob

Collapse -
You could try buying an old one...
by gauthier484 / November 25, 2005 10:02 AM PST
In reply to: Choice would be nice

you could try buying an old one just to try out the operating system, I bet you could find an old one for sale somewhere get an LC iii or a Classic. I have a friend who is a computer consultant who runs Linux, But my video card won't operate with Linux, I also don't know enough about computers yet to use it, and since less will run on it...

Collapse -
Linux
by Rob10 / November 25, 2005 10:49 PM PST

I think I'd run into more compatibility issues with Linux than Mac. I also think that if I'm going to jump OSs, I'd feel more comfortable trying Mac.

Collapse -
RE: PC's running Mac OS?
by NikonLover / November 24, 2005 2:38 PM PST

I talked to my Apple rep just a few days ago about this. He told me that in about a year Apple will be releasing their first Mac with the Intel processor. It will be capable of running Windows programs once you install the Windows OS program.

Now, whether or not PC's will be able to run Mac programs in the future remains to be seen. Every company is into making money so I wouldn't be surprised.

You say you don't know anything about Mac's. I switched from a PC to a Mac and have never regretted it. I absolutely love my iMac. In my opinion it's much easier to use and it can't be beat if you do a lot of graphic work (which I do). You are right about them being cool and stylish. I would suggest if you want to learn more about them, go to your local CompUSA store and seek out the Apple rep for a demo. You will be amazed at what those Macs can do! They are totally awesome!

Collapse -
Good Idea
by Rob10 / November 24, 2005 11:32 PM PST

CompUSA Mac demo is a good idea, since no one I know that's nearby owns one (getting computer help from friends is one reason I bought a PC in the first place). The issues I might have in going to a Mac are:

Cost...
If I buy a lower cost model now, how upgrade
friendly are they when I need more speed? I know
if I stay with a PC the options are endless.
The faster G5 models are spendier than a
compareable PC.

Software Availability...
I know that for graphics I would have
great choices. But what about business apps?
I checked Quicken's site and it looked
like the only Quick Books option for
Mac was the $200 Pro version. I also worry about
other software, like UPS shipping/tracking for
my computer at work.

I will definitely check out a Mac the next time I'm at Compo USA and ask the salesperson these questions. I just don't like surprises later down the line when I find out that some new app I need is "PC only".

I guess the bottom line is if they design the next generation Mac OS to run on an Intel-based Mac, would that open the door for that new OS to run on an Intel-based PC? I know, it's a bit of an ignorant question since I'm sure there are more issues than just making sure I have the right drivers installed.

Collapse -
Mac currently runs on x86 and AMD64 hardware.
by welrdelr / April 26, 2008 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Good Idea

Keep up on current events. The PPC architecture was abandoned two years ago.

Collapse -
And you are replying to 3 year old posts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

Hey Porch, time to pay attention!

Collapse -
yes, but
by welrdelr / April 26, 2008 2:39 AM PDT

Too many parts of the system is open source and OpenDarwin is still existing- finding a copy is difficult- for people to use. One can build FreeBSD to use the NeXtStep environment- gnustep- and have a system similar to a Mac to work with.
I did say similar. You would have to install it to an HFS/HFS+ volume. This would require a few Linux emulation models & binaries to be built.
/boot/kernel defaults Linux emulation=yes hfs emulation support activated or enabled by vi rewrite of kernel modules. Fdisk on a separate hd should help some.
Beyond this, I don't know.

Collapse -
Nice but your posts are getting removed too often.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: yes, but

Time to start paying attention.

Collapse -
???
by welrdelr / April 26, 2008 8:30 AM PDT

Que?

Collapse -
Locking.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 26, 2008 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: ???

This discussion is very old. Locking.

Collapse -
pcs running mac os
by curly59 / April 25, 2008 9:00 PM PDT

is it possible to run mac leopard on a pc

Collapse -
Not legally.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: pcs running mac os

As such the CNet forums can't discuss it past this point.

But beware the PSYSTAR as it appears to be a phishing scam. Read http://government.zdnet.com/?p=3761

"Walk through the Psystar fiasco with me. Many things are confusing. At a minimum, it?s clear that the OpenMac is bogus. It?s extremely dubious that Psystar is a legitimate company. It is increasingly likely that the whole thing is a phishing or credit-card scam."

Collapse -
Porting the kernel
by welrdelr / April 26, 2008 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: pcs running mac os

If you know how to use the FreeBSD binutils along with GCC make for porting to different architectures- along with knowing what my post below states about open source licenses- you can.
For any moderators and editors who may disagree with me: Look at the sources for the current Apple OS and at the BSD licenses being used. Those parts used of open source are available to the public for modifying.

Collapse -
Vendor lock-in and other bad standards.
by welrdelr / April 26, 2008 1:46 AM PDT

Pay attention to this post. Mac OS X is based on FreeBSD 4.0 and the NeXtstep environment and has been ported to the x*^ and AMD64 chip sets. If you think it cannot be used, think again. You need to be able to use kernel tools. There is nothing stopping you from chnaging what hardware it runs on, but, you will need to be able to write drivers. This is not an easy task. Kernel hacking a closed source system cannot be done within the system itself. You'll need to do some studying.
If anyone says, "A Mac and a PC are different," they are full of BS. Again, it uses the same chip. According to the BSD license, they must say that they have used the sources and/ or the binary- either one as long as it is credited- and those sources should be available to you. NeXtstep currently exists as the gnustep project with its sources- and binaries- also available to you.

You may want to also study the OpenDarwin model.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?