Computer Help forum

General discussion

PCLinuxOS freezes before I can install

by theintrospect / March 30, 2009 12:04 AM PDT

Ok, I have a pc that I reset the CMOS on and booted back up. I decided to get an ISO Image of PCLinuxOS and boot it up on it. By the way the specs are: Intel Celeron 1.2ghz 40gb hd 128mb ram desktop. I got it to boot the OS up fine but after it logs on it runs so slow from the disc it freezes up when I doublee click on install OS to HD.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCLinuxOS freezes before I can install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCLinuxOS freezes before I can install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like heat to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 12:34 AM PDT

Celerons do that if they heat up. 128MB might be too slim for PCLinuxOS.

Try DSL next.
Bob

Collapse -
DSL?
by theintrospect / March 30, 2009 1:02 AM PDT

Is that a linux os?

Collapse -
(NT) Do try to look for such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 1:08 AM PDT
In reply to: DSL?
Collapse -
(NT) thanks
by theintrospect / March 30, 2009 1:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
got dsl running from cd
by theintrospect / March 30, 2009 2:38 AM PDT
In reply to: DSL?

But when I go to partion the drive I get a fatal error. I've put hda, hda0, hda1 and all did the same. Any advice?

Collapse -
That's a big clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 3:20 AM PDT

Something is busted on that PC. Makes you wonder.

Collapse -
I got it now
by theintrospect / March 30, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: That's a big clue.

Thanks for the info, got it installed (guess i was partitioning wrong)how do you find the usb drive? I have a netgear wireless modem and the reciever is usb. how do I set that up?

Collapse -
For that...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 5:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I got it now

You have to find a forum that is about your selected OS and hope someone has got your wifi working so they can share what they did.

But no one will ever help those that don't provide make and model numbers.
Bob

Collapse -
of the pc?
by theintrospect / March 30, 2009 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: For that...

HP Pavilion 7915 Intel Celeron 1.2gHz 40 gb hd 128 mb of ram

Collapse -
Don't worry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 30, 2009 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: of the pc?

They'll correct you if you don't tell. I won't correct you because you may think it rude of me to ask for such details.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply linux os
by einzen / March 30, 2009 7:04 AM PDT

Try using an .iso from this mirror in my experience they are extremely reliable and extremely fast download speeds

Message was edited by: admin to remove signature link which is prohibited in these forums

Collapse -
Got it installed
by theintrospect / March 30, 2009 10:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply linux os

I got DSL installed fine but how do you access the usb ports, for my wireless internet reciever is usb.

Collapse -
Like Bob told you, you go to ...
by Edward ODaniel / March 31, 2009 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it installed

one of the Linux forums where someone might be able to tell you where they found drivers.

He also told you that you need to supply make and model and all anyone here knows about that wireless USB dongle is that it is wireless USB (hint, since not all wireless USB dongles are created equal (b, bg, n, bgn, etc.) casually mentioning MAKE AND MODEL of EVERYTHING would prove beneficial (many Linux forums are less user friendly and if necessary info is not provided will simply tell you to RTFM (Read the (and here I will paraphrase) Fine manual).

Here is a link to a list of forums that should provide you an answer -
https://damnsmalllinux.org/wiki/index.php/Special:Categories

I will bet that if you go to that link above and start with the DOCUMENTATION link you will find, on looking around the 126 alphebetized articles, Verified Wireless Cards which should provide some interesting reading.

Collapse -
Well...
by FrankQC / March 31, 2009 12:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Got it installed

You're using DSL but I'll try to help.

I use Debian-based distributions and when I want to access my USB I go in terminal and type cd /media/disk/

Then you're in the USB Storage Device. If you want to move, say, file firefox.exe then you would type: mv "firefox.exe" "/home/(username)/Desktop"

Hope that helped.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?