Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

Question

PCIe slot - how to clean it?

by Raiena / August 24, 2013 4:49 PM PDT

I know that as far as dust goes,it's best to use some sort of air blower.
But what about something more tricky,such as something sticky?
Here's the story.
My old computer's GPU started to act up,and i refused to waste money on a new one,so got in touch with my mate,and he had a barely used asus en8800gt top series,so i took it,without inspecting it,i just installed it,and for about half a day/day it worked just fine,until it froze my whole PC,i figured it must of overheated,so i installed furmark to watch temps,barely 59c in and it froze my whole pc yet again,this time when i restarted my res was changed to 1024x768 (or whatever was the proper number of low res) i reinstalled drivers,reseated the gpu,and nothing,i figured that maybe ive killed the thing,so i stuck my old gpu back,even tho it glitched,at least it somewhat worked,until all of a sudden that one froze in middle of youtube video as well,at witch point i started to look at pcie slot,and just by accident at the gt8800.

Not quite sure how,the gt8800 had some sort of sticky goo on half of the golden contacts,so my guess is that it must of transferred some of it into the slot as well,which is why my old card started to act up in the same exact way.

So my question is,what can i use to clean the slot,and the gpu contacts without too much risk of damaging them.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCIe slot - how to clean it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCIe slot - how to clean it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I suggest...
by Willy / August 25, 2013 12:44 AM PDT

Use rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush to clean. Do a vigorous cleaning and then allow to dry. You can use canned air to help, but it MUST BE DRY. Place by or on near a warm window should help along. You can use electrical cleaner found in most home improvement centers, spray and use the toothbrush, then wipe down as best as possible, then use alcohol to finish the job. Don't use any common household cleaner or any solvents, you may cause damage and/or seal it's fate. good luck

tada -----Willy Shocked

Collapse -
Answer
As I recall
by Jimmy Greystone / August 25, 2013 1:15 AM PDT

As I recall, the 88xx series of nVidia cards was subject to a recall, so the issues you're having may well be the result of that as opposed to anything else. Around that same time I know a few vendors were applying a special contact enhancing gel on components. It's completely harmless to the electronics. I have no idea if Asus was one of the companies doing this, but I'd be more inclined to blame the GPU which is from a family with well known and widespread issues.

Frankly, if the substance you describe were some sort of an issue, the computer likely wouldn't work at all and it would have shorted out somehow, maybe even caught fire. The fact that it's still working suggests that the substance is inert for all intents and purposes and not the source of your problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!