Computer Help forum

General discussion

PCIE Clock timing settings

by Andre_S / August 3, 2006 8:39 PM PDT

What should the PCIE clock timing setting be in the bios of my motherboard?
At the moment this is set to 100mhz, is this correct?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCIE Clock timing settings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCIE Clock timing settings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PCIE timing
by kwkid / August 4, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

I see by your profile that this is your first post. Congratulations and welcome to the community. Hopefully you will have a long and fruitful relationship with CNET forums. I would like to point out a couple of things so that we may provide you with assistance, both now and in the future.

1.) When posting about a hardware problem, always list your computer specifications. With all of the different computers and different settings, this is not a one answer fits all scenario. We can help you best when we understand what we are working with. An analogy may help to explain: If you call an auto parts store and tell them you want a new air filter for your car, the first thing they will ask you is - what kind of car. The reason is obvious, there are hundreds of different kinds of cars and air filters. The same is true for computers, many different kinds, many different settings.

2.) When posting about a software problem, list your computer specs and:
a.) State the problem
b.) When did it start
c.) What happens to cause the problem or what happened just before the problem occurs
d.) Was any software or hardware installed prior to the problem starting

By following these simple steps you give us, and yourself, the best chance of resolving the issue in a timely manner.

Again, welcome aboard!!!

Collapse -
100MHz sounds about right
by jnbhoward / August 4, 2006 3:06 AM PDT

I don't know the exact numbers off the top of my head, but I know the older PCI was 33MHz, AGP was 66MHz, so 100MHz for PCI-E sounds just about right. And since it should be 2-way communication at 100MHz, it's an effective 200MHz bus.

Whatever the defaults are, they're probably correct. A bus like PCI-E has to be a multiple of the CPU clock so that they can communicate. So you don't want to just go messing with that speed, because it will likely end up overclocking your CPU to compensate, and that can lead to system stability problems in the best case scenario.

Collapse -
100 MHz is fine
by rick550 / August 4, 2006 3:09 AM PDT

Yeah, 100 MHz is fine. There is really no need to change the frequency of the PCI-E bus. just leave it where its at.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!