PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PCI Wireless network cards

Hello,
I am somewhat new to home networking. I am simply trying to connect my PC directly to a free WiFi service that is now active in much of Philadelphia Pa. (see here --> http://wirelessphiladelphia.org/ You don't even need an account. My brother connects with his laptop and I know others that connect direct from a hand held.

So, I figure all I have to do it put any old PCI wireless g adapter into my desktop, and purchased 2 used AT&T Plug&Share 6500g adapters with the software disk. After the install I see as many as 7 different networks, but none of them is a name brand service. Some are just a bunch of numbers, some have, what I assume to be, user assigned names to thier network (such as Home WiFi, or belkin 54g) I don't see anything saying Philadelphia Wireless, or AT&t or any others like that. Some are secured and one or 2 are not. I think I am connecting thru someone elses router that they did not secure.

My question then. Is it possible this card only connects to a particular service, such as AT&T? My computer does sit low under a wood table near the floor with a 5" (maybe) antenna connected directly to card. Also, the card was manufactured in 2003. Any issues there?

The service map for Philadelphia Wireless clearly shows my address well in the service area. There is no support for this service yet and I can't find any help from AT&T/Cingular.

My system is a home assembled K7S5A with an AMD xp 2000+ running Windows XP.

Thanks for reading,
Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCI Wireless network cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCI Wireless network cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly here

In reply to: PCI Wireless network cards

but it appears this was once a service from Earthlink that they abandoned but has been taken over by another operation. Part of your link refers to configuring range boosters that appear to also have come from Earthlink but don't have to be returned. It also mentions the service is free to anyone who can connect to it. This doesn't mean it's possible to connect. It does not sound as if this is true plug and play. You said your brother can connect. Can you get him to bring his rig to your place or can you take yours to his place? WiFi signals from individual access points don't travel for great distances and are easily blocked by physical barriers. Such is why range extenders or outside antennas might be necessary to capture these. Good luck.

Collapse -
Hmmm!

In reply to: Maybe I'm reading something incorrectly here

Several good points Steven. They actually called them "signal boosters". My brain translated that into "speed booster". Why? Well, originally, a major condition to awarding the contract to any provider was they had to provide for low - income households the ability to connect to high - speed connections, at a reduced price about ($10 bucks). Earthlink thought they were going get many thousands of sign - ups at $21 but only got a few. So, they bailed. I guess I was thinking the booster was for speed to those who would pay the $21 bill. But, I'm sure I never read it.

It's possible he lives close to a transmitter while I might be in a signal challenged area. And, maybe I'm connecting through someone who has Verizon or Comcast (cable).

I will see if my brother will allow me to borrow his laptop.

Thanks you Steven.
Bill

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.