Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

PCI Network Adapter cards

by RadicalRik / April 4, 2008 6:59 AM PDT

We are hopefuly going to be getting High-Speed DSL within the month from Embarq, our phone company. They use a 2Wire Home Portal gateway router which they charge $149.00 for, then give you $100.00 off, so basically theyll chargeme $49.

However, they do charge big-time for the computer network adapters. They sell Linksys PCI network adapter cards for about $50. I know I can find my own way cheaper.

We have two desktops in the house that will be using the router. Mine will be hard-wired using a PCI card and my brother's upstairs will have to use a wireless PCI card.

Question 1.) To match up with their 2Wire device do we HAVE to use Linksys PCI devices?

Intel, TRENDnet, D-Link, Intel and MSI all make PCI network adapter cards also. I was leaning towards perhhaps a D-Link or Intel, but they use Bus = "32-bit PCI 2.2" or "32-bit 2.3" I don't think my computer has PCI 2.2. My Everest utility lists (2) PCI, (1) PCI-E x 1 and (1) PCI-E x 16. It does not list a "PCI 2.2"
I tried reading about PCI and it's designations, but other than "Express" (a wholeother animal) I'm not cclear about PCI differencs. However, I don't want cards that won't fit, not fit, but won't operate.

Question 2.) Should I just go with the more expensive Linksys? It's just plain "32-bit PCI"?

I want them to be compatible with the phone company's device.

Question 3.) What cable do I need to purchase for my hard-wired connection? Is any one better than another?

NOTE: Both desktops are about 2 years old. Both AMD Athlon 64 2.0 GHz & 2.2GHz. Both have PCI dial-up modems that we will replace with network cards. I just want to get the correct ones so we're ready as soon as the 2Wire router box is in the house

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCI Network Adapter cards
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCI Network Adapter cards
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
At just 2 years old, ALL PCs I've seen have
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 7:03 AM PDT

Network capability with an ethernet port onboard. It's rare to find a 2 year old system without. Maybe if you could supply some make and model numbers for those computers we can look for you.

Collapse -
Re: Computer models
by RadicalRik / April 4, 2008 7:30 AM PDT

1.) Aspire AST-180 AMD Athlon 64 X2 dual-core processors. Windows XP Media Center SP-2
Network card removed and replaced with pCI dial-up modem.
That "upstairs" computer needs a "wireless" PCI network adapter card.

1.) ABS Awesome AMD Athlon 64 2.0 GB 3200 Windows XP Media Center SP-2.
Never had a network card...just a PCI dial-up modem.

Collapse -
In a nutshell. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 4, 2008 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Computer models

Add a wireless PCI card to one and a wired NIC to the other. Plug and play. Since network adapters are an industry standard, use the one you wish. I'm partial to D-link. Of the two mentioned above, only the wireless will need to have it's software installed.

Collapse -
Use the network card it came with.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 9:08 AM PDT

You don't need to stick with their brandname. And same for the other, install the make and model you can get cheap.

Collapse -
PS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 4, 2008 9:13 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!