PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PCI multimedia audio device

by loren / January 5, 2005 10:47 AM PST

I reformatted my computer (windows 98) and now after I got everything done and working I am still having having a problem with the PCI multimedia audio device. I try to update the driver in the device manager and it can't find a compatable driver. I have looked everywhere. On the restoration CD and everywhere else and nothing.
I have a ultra 66 card installed and a modem installed in the PCI slots and nothing else. I don't know for sure what it is exactly what I should be looking for when I am looking for drivers so any help would really be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCI multimedia audio device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCI multimedia audio device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
PCI Audio
by Stan Chambers / January 5, 2005 12:54 PM PST

It may refer to your voice modem. Just be sure that the proper driver is installed for the modem. If your not sure of the maker and model, remove the card and look at the chipset mfg and model #. pctel, intel, etc. Once you determine this, do a Google search for the website where you can download the latest drivers.
Best of Luck.

Collapse -
Get hardware info here
by TONI H / January 5, 2005 7:12 PM PST

Everything you ever wanted to know about what hardware you have installed by manufacturer and model number, you can get here for free.

It will not only identify your hardware for you, but it will also identify your software programs and give you product ID's, licensing and registration info, and version numbers of everything.

You can print it out and always have it handy for downloading newest drivers ahead of time prior to a format, and also keep track of your updates for Windows and other programs.

BELARC Hardware ID:

This one is FREE. Run it on line, D/L or copy to a floppy (500K+). Anyone who is wondering what is in their machine should find this useful.
http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

The "Belarc Advisor" is useful, and free for personal use. It "builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware." It runs on Windows 95/98/Me, NT 4, Windows 2000 and XP, and in just a minute or so, creates a local web page (one that resides on your PC--- nothing is sent back to Belarc). The page contains a rundown of all the hardware in and attached to your system, plus information on all the installed software including license and version numbers. Makes a handy reference.

MORE FREE PROGRAMS TO GET YOUR HARDWARE INFO IS:

Everest Home edition is available on this website
http://www.lavalys.com\ There is a new V1.51 recently released.

AIDA32 - System Information Tool 3.93 4-25-04
http://www.webattack.com/get/aida32.shtml (read about it here)
The site describes the program, but they have stopped offering it or updating it......it can be still be downloaded from here though and works for all windows versions:

http://www.svrops.com/svrops/dwnldprog.htm

TONI

Collapse -
Thank you
by loren / January 6, 2005 12:53 AM PST

I did get the right drivers and such for the modem, it is a voice modem. but it still tells me there is a questionable PCI device installed??

Thanks anyway,

I will try the software from the next post.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.