Laptops forum

General discussion

PCI Express Card Advice

by trupro / October 5, 2010 2:56 AM PDT

Hey folks, questions here about PCI express. Looking at these Combo cards out there with say, a couple FW800 ports and an eSata port (this would be exactly what I need).

Can these really run i/o at the same time, simultaniously moving data, or they are to be used one at a time (says 'onelane'. Common sense is telling me 'no' i suppose)

Not that I am settled on this one, but as an example:
http://www.firewiredirect.com/product/363/

thank you kindly for your input!
(btw: this is not a compatability question, but rather a theory question about typical PCI bussing architecture. I will take care of comapatablity...)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCI Express Card Advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCI Express Card Advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 3:08 AM PDT

One lane would mean there is one lane. While it may look to the untrained eye that data is moving on both firewire and esata at the same time (which it would be!) that would be only a packet or buffer being transferred so if we get too Dilbert on it, it's not at the same time.

However does this matter? Have you tested that your application works or not?
Bob

Collapse -
DISREGARD LINK ABOVE
by trupro / October 5, 2010 3:13 AM PDT

its a combo USB/FW card. I guess Im really just asking if it is possible to have a card with a combo of eSATA and FW800, and use those ports for full duplex i/o, simultaniously (for instance, running an eSata external drive, while the card simultaniously runs an external audio interface) Thanks for your expertise!

Collapse -
Again no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: DISREGARD LINK ABOVE

While the reason is simple, and the fact that a buffer could help the bottom line is whether the application and "system" would be fine with this is the acid test. No matter what way I look at this, the answer is no. With a single channel, only one or the other device is transferring data to the system at any one moment in time.

But that does not mean what you want to do won't work.
Bob

Collapse -
Makes sense
by trupro / October 5, 2010 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Again no.

Ah, thank you much folks, these make sense.

I dunno why I kept typing PCIe...these are simply called ExpressCards, yes? My bad...

and indeed, it makes sense as you said to err on the side of caution. Alot of cards can do whatever you want but are truly putting it all through the same pipe as you said, so even if I could get it to work I'd be shooting myself in the foot as far as speed and functionality.

The idea is this: ive got one miniFW400. I then have an audio interface with FW400 connection, and an external drive with both FW400 ('mini' port...yuck!) and eSATA.

Since I only have one FW400 port in the lappy, im leaning toward just getting an eSATA card for the drive. Herein lies the conundrum: I want both on a better connection.

I'd like to get a firewire card, but then there is the problem you mentioned: a two port card (for both drive and interface) is essentially like daisy chaining through a single port. And thats not gonna work. Second is the fact that some laptops will route all FW bussing, card or no, through the same buss. So you could stick forty ports on there, its all gonna run through the same pipe.

I have yet to determine if my particular laptop manufacturer's architecture is this way, mostly because I dont speak the foreign languages of the helpdesks they have farmed all their customer support out to.

Any suggestions?

regardless, thanks again for your time and your expertise, much oblidged!

Collapse -
For laptops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 5, 2010 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Makes sense

All express cards are the same (I write this so someone can prove me wrong.)

But this does not mean that your application is limited or won't work. The reasons why are simple. We have buffers in the chips, the hard drive and what else so the data at the FW and eSata points may flow even when there is only a single channel on the other side.

And there's the conundrum. Do we go ahead and use it or do we dismiss it on a technicality?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?