PC Hardware forum

General discussion

PCI device "will not start"

by tmort55 / May 7, 2007 10:19 AM PDT

I have a Dell Desktop PC. It's a Celeron 2.4Ghz, with 768MB RAM, Windows XP Home. I've installed a Cicero PCI Firewire card into one of the 3 PCI slots. Upon bootup, the drivers seem to install but under device manager, it simply says under the card that "The device could not start." I thought that maybe the card was sharing the same IRQ as something else, so I swapped it positions with the adjacent ethernet card. Same problem still occurs, yet the ethernet card works fine in both slots. The card is fairly old and I can't find specific drivers for it, though I've read that it works with standard Texas Instruments drivers, which is what I already have installed. Is there any other course of action I should try taking before I smash this card with a hammer?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCI device "will not start"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCI device "will not start"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try another brand card.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2007 12:07 PM PDT
Collapse -
PCI Card
by DellCA / May 14, 2007 7:35 AM PDT

blaisadam:

I?m at Dell Headquarters in Austin, Texas and I just came across the thread. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with this. If you're certain the slot is good and you can?t get it to work with the latest bios and any of the drivers you come across I would give up and pursue returning the card. If you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Neil
Dell, Inc.
neil@dell.com

Collapse -
nope
by tmort55 / May 18, 2007 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: PCI Card

Well, I bought a brand new PCI Firewire card today (an nGear) and it's giving me the same problem!!!

I did some more searching and I've discovered that the problem is Windows XP SP2. The new SP2 drivers somehow don't work. I tried a workaround that I found somewhere that uses the SP1 drivers instead. Doing this, the card shows up fine now in the Device Manager (no more "Device will not start") but there's still one problem... the card won't work! I plugged in my camera and nothing happened, tried to add the camera through the Control Panel, it didn't detect it...

There has to be some type of workaround for this. I will keep trying, but any help would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Or you have missing motherboard chipset drivers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: nope

I don't see which system you have so I can't suggest which I'd install.

Why did you leave out the details? (you don't have to answer that...)

Bob

Collapse -
but
by tmort55 / May 19, 2007 12:24 AM PDT

The computer's hard drive hasn't been formatted since we got it. Would Dell really ship something with missing drivers? Oh wait... maybe they would...

Collapse -
Or...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 19, 2007 12:32 AM PDT
In reply to: but

Someone accepts a driver from Windows Update. Too bad you didn't tell the model number so I could share the driver(s) I would use.

So while it may ship with drivers, these can be replaced or "old".

Bob

Collapse -
Fixed
by tmort55 / May 19, 2007 6:34 AM PDT

Well, after 2 and 1/2 hours on the phone with Dell tech support (Canada), the problem is finally solved. It wasn't working because of the way the devices were installed in the PCI slots. The initial (bad) setup was:

Slot 1 ---> D-Link Wifi card
Slot 2 ---> Firewire card
Slot 3 ---> 56K modem

After some mixing and matching, the configuration that finally worked was:

Slot 1 ---> Firewire card
Slot 2 ---> empty
Slot 3 ---> D-Link Wifi card

I never use the 56K modem (who does?) so we got rid of that. We figure the modem had some kind of conflict with something else.

Before doing this, we updated the BIOS, chipset drivers and installed a patch from Microsoft that had to with enabling 1394 enumeration.

The system is a Dell Dimension 2400.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.