Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

PCI Adapter Card = BSOD??

by VAF815 / October 16, 2004 3:52 AM PDT

I'm trying to connect my new Dell Dimension 8400 (3.0Ghz/512Mb/XPsp1) to my home wireless network. I installed two diiferent PCI adapter cards in my one available PCI slot -- an older D-Link (11b) and a brand new Netgear (11g) (which Dell Sales assured me is compatible). Both cards detected my Netgear wireless router and provided an excellent internet connection, so I'm assuming they were seated properly. The problem is that every time I shut down the system I get the blue screen of death with the following message:

Hardware Malfunction
NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error
The System has halted

The system runs and shuts down perfectly when the PCI cards are removed. D-Link and Netgear Support technicians told me I have to contact Dell, but Dell Support doesn't seem to have an answer for me. Has anyone else had this problem, or better yet a solution? Anyone know which wireless PCI adapter cards are truly compatible with Dell hardware? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PCI Adapter Card = BSOD??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PCI Adapter Card = BSOD??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: PCI Adapter Card = BSOD??
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

In short,

1. http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=36495&messageID=425819&tag=srch

You need to dive into the Event Viewer and find what's up.

2. Many owners don't have current BIOS, drivers and more. They rely on Microsoft's Windows Update or Driver Update buttons. What do you do about this?

3. Spyware. My bet is that your machine has some. What do you do about it?

I'm sure you'll fix it, but the list has to be worked since the cause is somewhere in items 1, 2 or 3 and why Dell has no clue.

Bob

Collapse -
by VAF815 / October 18, 2004 9:21 AM PDT

Thanks for the reply. The computer is brand new, out of the box so spyware shouldn't be an issue, and I can't believe the BIOS would be outdated already. I think Dell is just pushing machines that aren't compatible with wireless adapter cards. Anyway, I decided to compromise and use a USB adapter. Not as fast but so much easier!

Collapse -
by hezz / November 5, 2004 1:15 AM PST

Hi,

I just bought a Dell dimension 8400. I installed a wireless PCI card (D-Link G520+) in it, and receive the same blue screen when the machine shuts down.

D-link points to Dell. First line support of Dell has no clue. I am awaiting results of escalation within Dell.

Any feedback of users having same problem would be welcome.

Hedi

Collapse -
For Heidi,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 1:20 AM PST

The same issues can apply and looking in the Event Viewer reveals the cause about 1/2 the time.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: For Heidi,
by hezz / November 5, 2004 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: For Heidi,

Hi Bob,

2 and 3 are likely not applicable: the problem happened just after unpacking the machine, without having time to get spyware from internet.

For what concerns bios/drivers, the support of both Dell and D-Link checked this up, I have all latest releases (new machine, new card).

So I go for 1) searching in the event - but no sure what I am suppose to look for.

Kind regards

Hedi

Collapse -
About Events...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2004 2:44 AM PST
In reply to: Re: For Heidi,
Collapse -
Re: About Events...
by hezz / November 5, 2004 9:43 PM PST
In reply to: About Events...

Hi Bob,

I went back to the store and changed the DLW520+ for the DLW520 extreme(they have 2 different chipsets).
This one is working fine - no blue screen anymore when shutdowning.

Thanks for the help.

Kind regards

Hedi

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?