Computer Help forum

General discussion

PC133 & PC100 installed together?? Problem?

by tobeach / October 13, 2004 3:49 PM PDT

P3866,Win98SE,40Gb & (was)256 SDram PC133.
Just got machine back from repair shop. Power supply died. Replaced with new 300wt (formerly 200wt). While there, ordered install of new DVDRom and doubling of memory to 512.
Upon getting home discovered instead of adding additional 256 of PC133 SDram, they had added only 128 of PC100 SDRam. Clearly not what desired! Before returning for correction, I wanted to ask:

Are there negative connotations to this current set- up?
Possibly reduced overall speed due to the PC100 (lowest common denominator)? Possible conflicts or hardware caused confusion for software?

I suspect they didn't have any PC133 on hand and figured no one would notice! Thanks in Advance for your council!! Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PC133 & PC100 installed together?? Problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PC133 & PC100 installed together?? Problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: PC133 & PC100 installed together?? Problem?
by Yew / October 13, 2004 10:48 PM PDT

The only negative effect of using PC100 RAM with PC133, is that it lowers everything to PC100 speeds. Of course, for all but a very select few apps, you'll never know the difference. And always remember, that the slowest RAM is still thousands of times faster than the fastest hard drive, so more of a slower type of RAM is still better than less of a faster type and using disk paging to pick up the slack.

Collapse -
by Bob__B / October 13, 2004 11:29 PM PDT

I have to agree with Yewanchors about the entire memory will now run pc100 speed.

But I must differ with "for all but a very select few apps, you'll never know the difference."

This machine came with 256MB pc100 memory.
I removed that and replaced it with 256MB pc133.
A tweak or two in the bios and the effect was quite noticable.

When the speed increase is so great that you can see it with your eye-balls it's a bunch.

Bring the machine back and have them install what you paid for.

Collapse -
Thanks 1 & All for advice! Will Do! NMSG :-)
by tobeach / October 14, 2004 3:15 AM PDT

XXXX Happy

Collapse -
by Willy / October 14, 2004 12:21 AM PDT

While PC133 and PC100 can be mixed, its not a given though. Yes, the PC100 will make the ram be rduced to PC100 level in order to work, automatically provided it does work. They *SHOULD HAVE* given you at least matched PC133 types, not a pure match like from same company, but types. Return it for correction, you may/not be asked for higher cost of PC133, but not that much difference(at least replace at no cost due to thier error).

FYI, while 300W will work, systems tend to hog all the power they need, so ask for even a higher wattage unit while there. 350W is the basic level, IMHO, and 400W+ is very common for stuffed systems. Quality does matter!

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
by memory-xpert / October 15, 2004 2:25 PM PDT

Have the shop replace the PC100 for the PC133 that you paid for. Besides slowing down the memory speed, your processor speed could also be effected. A Pentium 866 is set with a clock setting of 6.5. (133Mhz *6.5 gives you your 866Mhz processor) By changing the bus speed to 100Mhz you may now be using 100Mhz fsb *6.5= 650Mhz processor speed. However, it's possible that the tech raised your clock to 8.5 to try and make up the difference but you still are not getting the maximum out of your system. He probably had some double sided PC100 modules on hand and used them because the tech misquoted the pricing of the PC133s. How, you ask? Well 256MB PC133s are made both single sided and double sided. The double sided modules are MUCH more expensive than the single sided ones and the tech probably quoted the single sided price to you. When they found out that single sided PC133s won't work on your machine, they took the easy way out and used some double sided PC100s that they had in stock. Bet you a lot that this is what happened to you. Tell them the Memory Expert said to do the job right.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?